Tidyverse package installation problem

Hello,

I am trying to install the tidyverse package. I am using a work computer which I do not have administrator priveliges on. The installation of R and RStudio was done by out IT deparment.
I iniitally got an error message which said the folder I was trying to write to was not writeable, so I had IT give me write permission to the folder in question. I now get a different error which I do not understand, example of the error code below

Any help/insight greatly appreciated
Work computer runs Windows 7
The version of R is 3.2.0
the version of RStudio is 1.1.383

code output-

* installing *source* package 'psych' ...
** package 'psych' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** R
** data
*** moving datasets to lazyload DB
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** installing vignettes
** testing if installed package can be loaded
*** arch - i386
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'mnormt', details:
  call: inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...)
  error: unable to load shared object 'C:/Program Files/R/R-3.2.0/library/mnormt/libs/i386/mnormt.dll':
  LoadLibrary failure:  %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

Error: loading failed
Execution halted
*** arch - x64
ERROR: loading failed for 'i386'
* removing 'C:/Program Files/R/R-3.2.0/library/psych'
Warning in install.packages :
  running command '"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-32~1.0/bin/x64/R" CMD INSTALL -l "C:\Program Files\R\R-3.2.0\library" C:\Users\HAYTOA~1.ARP\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp2pRC9k/downloaded_packages/psych_1.7.8.tar.gz' had status 1
  installation of package ‘psych’ had non-zero exit status
ERROR: dependencies 'rlang', 'utf8' are not available for package 'pillar'
* removing 'C:/Program Files/R/R-3.2.0/library/pillar'
  running command '"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-32~1.0/bin/x64/R" CMD INSTALL -l "C:\Program Files\R\R-3.2.0\library" C:\Users\HAYTOA~1.ARP\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp2pRC9k/downloaded_packages/pillar_1.1.0.tar.gz' had status 1
  installation of package ‘pillar’ had non-zero exit status
ERROR: dependencies 'rlang', 'tidyselect' are not available for package 'dbplyr'
* removing 'C:/Program Files/R/R-3.2.0/library/dbplyr'
  running command '"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-32~1.0/bin/x64/R" CMD INSTALL -l "C:\Program Files\R\R-3.2.0\library" C:\Users\HAYTOA~1.ARP\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp2pRC9k/downloaded_packages/dbplyr_1.2.0.tar.gz' had status 1
  installation of package ‘dbplyr’ had non-zero exit status
ERROR: dependency 'rlang' is not available for package 'hms'
* removing 'C:/Program Files/R/R-3.2.0/library/hms'
  running command '"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-32~1.0/bin/x64/R" CMD INSTALL -l "C:\Program Files\R\R-3.2.0\library" C:\Users\HAYTOA~1.ARP\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp2pRC9k/downloaded_packages/hms_0.4.0.tar.gz' had status 1
  installation of package ‘hms’ had non-zero exit status
ERROR: dependency 'psych' is not available for package 'broom'
* removing 'C:/Program Files/R/R-3.2.0/library/broom'
  running command '"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-32~1.0/bin/x64/R" CMD INSTALL -l "C:\Program Files\R\R-3.2.0\library" C:\Users\HAYTOA~1.ARP\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp2pRC9k/downloaded_packages/broom_0.4.3.tar.gz' had status 1
  installation of package ‘broom’ had non-zero exit status
ERROR: dependency 'broom' is not available for package 'modelr'
* removing 'C:/Program Files/R/R-3.2.0/library/modelr'
  running command '"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-32~1.0/bin/x64/R" CMD INSTALL -l "C:\Program Files\R\R-3.2.0\library" C:\Users\HAYTOA~1.ARP\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp2pRC9k/downloaded_packages/modelr_0.1.1.tar.gz' had status 1
  installation of package ‘modelr’ had non-zero exit status
ERROR: dependencies 'broom', 'dbplyr', 'hms', 'modelr', 'rlang' are not available for package 'tidyverse'
* removing 'C:/Program Files/R/R-3.2.0/library/tidyverse'
  running command '"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-32~1.0/bin/x64/R" CMD INSTALL -l "C:\Program Files\R\R-3.2.0\library" C:\Users\HAYTOA~1.ARP\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp2pRC9k/downloaded_packages/tidyverse_1.2.1.tar.gz' had status 1
  installation of package ‘tidyverse’ had non-zero exit status

The downloaded source packages are in
	‘C:\Users\haya\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp2pRC9k\downloaded_packages’

Hmm, there seems to be quite a lot going on here. Is there any way you might not have Rtools installed? If so, here's a guide, Installing Rtools by Jeff Leek that is thorough and easy to follow.

I'm not a Windows user, so I don't know how much help I can be, but it seems like there's a cascade of errors starting with the fact that you can't load the earliest packages, in part because they're shared objects:

Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for ‘mnormt’, details:
call: inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), …)
error: unable to load shared object ‘C:/Program Files/R/R-3.2.0/library/mnormt/libs/i386/mnormt.dll’:
LoadLibrary failure: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
Error: loading failed
Execution halted
*** arch - x64
ERROR: loading failed for ‘i386’

It might be worth moving this over to the RStudio IDE category for now, since the issues seem to start before you really get to anything tidyverse-related. To do so, you'll just need to select the pencil next to your topic title, and then change the dropdown to RStudio IDE.

edit_category_hover

Thanks for your reply.
I now have Rtools installed but the tidyverse package will still not install.
I have a slightly different error message now, beginning of code error message bleow

* installing *source* package 'backports' ...
** package 'backports' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** libs

*** arch - i386
gcc -m32 -I"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-32~1.0/include" -DNDEBUG     -I"d:/RCompile/r-compiling/local/local320/include"     -O3 -Wall  -std=gnu99 -mtune=core2 -c dotsElt.c -o dotsElt.o
gcc: not found
make: *** [dotsElt.o] Error 127
Warning: running command 'make -f "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-32~1.0/etc/i386/Makeconf" -f "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-32~1.0/share/make/winshlib.mk" SHLIB="backports.dll" OBJECTS="dotsElt.o dotsLength.o init.o"' had status 2
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'backports'
* removing 'C:/Program Files/R/R-3.2.0/library/backports'
  running command '"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-32~1.0/bin/x64/R" CMD INSTALL -l "C:\Program Files\R\R-3.2.0\library" C:\Users\HAYTOA~1.ARP\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmpq2LiN0/downloaded_packages/backports_1.1.2.tar.gz' had status 1
  installation of package ‘backports’ had non-zero exit status

I have also added C:\Rtools\bin\ to the path manually in the environment variables.

Hi, I am still trying to install the tidyverse package...

I am using a work computer which I do not have administrator access to. I have got the IT deparment to uninstall Rtools and then re-install it making sure to check the box that allows it to make changes to the PATH.

I have done a lot of googling of error messages but with no luck. I have noticed that the base installation of R is under C\Program Files\R but Rtools is under C\Rtools. Could this be causing me problems?

Any general hints for R installations on windows machines that you don't have administrator access to?

Thanks

Hi @ajay ,
I run r on windows 10 (but on windows 7 not so long ago) at work. I do have admin rights though so a bit different to you. I remember having problems like this. I think what worked for me was adding

c:\Rtools\bin
c:\Rtools\mingw_32\bin

to my System Path environment variable, I add them to the System Path variable not the User Path variable.
If i remember correctly what is super important is that the entries for Rtools in the Path come before the entry for R: which is
C:\Program Files\R\R-3.4.3\bin\x64
in my case. See a screen shot of my path environment variable entries. Hope this helps :crossed_fingers:
sysstemenvar

1 Like

Thanks for your response Adam,

My "Path" environment variable looks like this -

c:\Rtools\bin;c:\Rtools\mingw_32\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett Packard Enterprise\Records Manager\

So it has the Rtools part in but it does not seem to have any R bits. Should I add the R bits manually or should this be done as an option during the R installation?

@ajay yeah try adding r to your path manually. Maybe it will help.
Another thing to try. It’s currently failing trying to build the backports package from source. I wonder if just installing the backports package binary from CRAN would help , hopefully avoiding problems building the package (which is what gcc and make is all about). Then try installing tidyverse after backports has been installed. Hopefully you don’t get similar problems with other dependency packages.

install.packages("backports")