Trouble opening RMD as stringi will not download

Hello and thank you to anyone who sees this. I am brand new to R and RStudio and have a project due in 23 hours that requires RMD. I cannot get my RMD to create sadly.

When I try to create an RMD this message occurs "Creating R Markdown documents requires an updated version of the stringi package" to which I agree with and hit yes.

Then this is what is what occurs:

Installing 'stringi' for R Markdown...
There is a binary version available but the source version is later:
binary source needs_compilation
stringi 1.7.3 1.7.4 TRUE
installing the source package ‘stringi’

trying URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/src/contrib/stringi_1.7.4.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 7599762 bytes (7.2 MB)

downloaded 7.2 MB

ERROR: failed to lock directory ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.1/Resources/library’ for modifying
Try removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.1/Resources/library/00LOCK-stringi’

The downloaded source packages are in
‘/private/var/folders/h8/zx8c68lx1tnfp3w0mnyywgs00000gn/T/RtmpSe5XTR/downloaded_packages’

:heavy_check_mark: Package 'stringi' successfully installed.
Warning message:
In utils::install.packages("stringi", repos = "https://cran.rstudio.com/") :
installation of package ‘stringi’ had non-zero exit status

Can anyone help me out here? I literally have no clue what I am doing and my professor has not responded to any of my messages.

Edit: I am running RStudio on a macOS incase that information is needed and my RStudio was just downloaded so it is up to date.

should be answered "no" for most macOS users. That will download and install a binary version. if that doesn't work, open a terminal session and enter

$ sudo rm /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.1/Resources/library/00LOCK-stringi

but ONLY if you have a basic understanding of how command line operations work.

If you are still unsuccessful, come back. You should also consider opening a free RStudio Cloud account as an alternative or backup to your local work.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.