Ubuntu 16.04 R-Studio Server Pro?

Hi Community,

My first post and a total newbie to R. I just installed as I thought R-Studio Server Pro on my Ubuntu 16.04 server. I followed the steps written at http://docs.rstudio.com/ide/server-pro/.
Now I was asked whether I had installed the free version of R-Studio or a trial version of Pro. So I tried the following command $ sudo rstudio-server license-manager status and got a manual how to use this command. Searching through the site of R I read that when license-manager is not working the free version of R-Studio is installed instead of Pro. Is that true or did I have a trial version of Pro (45 days free of charge)? I am a bit confused right now. Can someone please give me some more insight in what I missed or did not oversee?

Thanks in advance for reaction and kind regards,

Aad Dijksman

Hi Aad, welcome to community!

I am not sure you've made clear what you are trying to do. Are you trying to get rstudio-server pro up and running? or the open-source version? or an eval?

If you are a pro customer, this is something for which an RStudio support ticket https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/requests/new is your best next step.

If you haven’t previously installed RStudio Server on your system then it will run in evaluation mode for a period of time before requiring activation.

1 Like

Hey Aad! In line with what @EconomiCurtis said, would it be possible to share the output of sudo rstudio-server license-manager status? That would help us determine whether you are running the trial of Pro or the open source version. Further, if you can tell us the name of the binary you downloaded to install the server, that would help us determine as well!

Hi EconomiCurtis,

Thanks for your quick reply. I am trying to get R-Studio Server Pro up and running, but I am not a customer yet, so I thought that a 45 days trial should be the one to install. The reaseon why is that I am setting up a server for a customer, so the Pro version is the one we need but first the company I work for wants to get aquainted with R. But now I am confused whether I installed the free version (with less functionality) or a trial of Pro (with more functionality)?

Aad Dijksman

Hi Cole,

Thanks for the quick reply also. The install file I found on the server is rstudio-server-1.1.456-amd64.deb. The command sudo rstudio-server license-manager status does only give a -usage explanation, no output.

Aad Dijksman

1 Like

Perfect. It sounds like you installed open source - one last check. Can you execute the following and share the output?

rstudio-server version

Hi Cole,

Command gives: 1.1.456

Aad Dijksman

Yes, this is definitely the open source version. You can download the Pro binary from here: https://www.rstudio.com/products/rstudio-server-pro/

Just click on the green "Try the 45 Day Eval" button and follow the directions. Apologies in advance for the messy HTML - we will get it cleaned up!

You can install the Pro binary right on top of the Open Source one that you have installed - no need to uninstall.

1 Like

Hi Cole,

Thanks for the quick support. Can I just install the Pro version or do I need to remove the open-source one first?

Aad Dijksman

You can just install the Pro version right on top of the open-source. No need to uninstall. And our pleasure! We are happy to help.

1 Like

Hi Cole,

Thanks a lot for your support, I start installing and when succes I will let the community know.

Kind regards,

Aad Dijksman

Sounds great! Also, it's good to know that during the Free Eval, you do have full access to the professional support team. So feel free to shoot an email to support@rstudio.com if you have trouble configuring the server or getting it set up appropriately! We are also happy to help on Community, of course!

Hi Cole and EconomiCurtis,

This did the trick. My boss and I are happy and start getting aquainted with this beuautifull product.

Thanks alot,

Kind regards,

Aad Dijksman

2 Likes

So glad to hear it! Very glad we could help :slight_smile: