Ubuntu 20.04/Rv4.0 GPU driver load causing blank white screen

So... I have read others experienced the "blank white screen" issue previously. I am not sure what their initiation of the error was, but I believe I have found a "new" one...

I just updated to Ubuntu 20.04, and R v4.0. Everything was running fine, e.g. me updating my packages from 3.6.x, but when I updated my driver to 'see' my GPU, RStudio went into "blank white screen" mode. I tried resetting the state numerous times. I tried removing, purging, rebooting, etc, but still, blank white screen. I doesn't happen immediately, but for all purposes, as soon as you select something, e.g. a script to load, a project to load, or even a simple item like trying to arrange the panes... FLASH, and all goes white.

So, I am not sure what caused others' "white screens of death," but for the moment, i believe the combination Ubuntu 20.04, Rv4.0, and a GPU selection...

What thoughts does the community have?

BTW, before I selected the GPU, packages appeared to be updating, so I really think it's a "graphic" issue...

2 Likes

How can I attach a gzipped version of the .rstudio-directory files?

So now, I have figured something very weird... RStudio will run in my new Ubuntu/R installs, but will only run in the default size / configuration loaded. If I attempt to maximize to fit my screen, flashes white and nothing else. If I attempt to modify pane positions, flashes white and then nothing else.

Is it an Ubuntu issue? Is it an Rv4 issues? Is it a GPU issue? Definitely connected to graphics, but not sure how...

What else can I provide to get some assistance on this?

Hi. I am experiencing the same problem. Have you overcome this issue?
Kindly assist.

Regards,
B

I'm having the same issue. Did you get to solve it? Just tried restarting RStudio, changing GPU settings... nothing works.

[EDIT]

Just got it solved:

I contacted Nvida directly, and they indicated there's an inssue with the graphic card not being able to go to lower resolution - things are so good, they are too good.

Anyway, they provided the following lines of code to perform a reduction in the resolution:

xrandr --newmode "1920x1080_60" 138.50 1920 1968 2000 2080 1080 1083 1088 1111 +hsync -vsync
xrandr --addmode eDP-1-1 "1920x1080_60"
xrandr --output eDP-1-1 --mode "1920x1080_60"

Not sure it will help you, but it worked for me. My resolution was simply too high for RStudio. Fingers-crossed the next update can crank-up the resolution

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.