Unable to access/launch R Studio Server on RHEL 7.0+

Hello everyone,

I have managed to install R + RStudio Server running on an RHEL 7.0+ AWS EC2 machine. Unfortunately, am unable to access/launch the server. Below are my findings:

1. Running netstat -lntp shows me that rstudio-server is running on port 8787:
 netstat -lntp
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8787            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1976/rserver
  1. Running rstudio-server status shows that the server is active:
rstudio-server status
● rstudio-server.service - RStudio Server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/rstudio-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Tue 2020-09-29 14:29:12 +08; 4h 18min ago
  Process: 1853 ExecStop=/usr/bin/killall -TERM rserver (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 1975 ExecStart=/usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/rserver (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 1976 (rserver)
   CGroup: /system.slice/rstudio-server.service
           └─1976 /usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/rserver
  1. Running rstudio-server verify-installation, this yields NO RESULTS. Is this expected behaviour?

2. All packages and its dependencies were installed.

3. rstudio config files are empty.

4. Hitting the URL - HTTP://0.0.0.0:8787 throws me a Network error (tcp_error) - 503 code

Can anyone provide me with pointers in what I am doing wrong here? Please advise. Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
R

From where are you trying to access the server? An AWS EC2 instance is a headless server so I don't think you are running a browser on it (you would have to use a complicated setup with X11 forwarding). If you are using a browser on your local machine then you have to use the public IP of the EC2 instance (e. g. http://public_ip:8787) and you have to make sure that you have configure the security settings of your EC2 instance to allow remote incoming connections on the 8787 port.

Hello Andresrcs,

I've actually tried accessing the public IP on my local machine and am getting ERR_CONNECTION_RESET - can't seem to be accessing it. Could this be because the port isn't configured to allow remote incoming connections?

Thanks in advance,
R

Hello everyone,

I hope someone could help me out with an issue that am facing. I have successfully installed R + RStudio Server in an RHEL 7.0+ EC2 machine. Unfortunately, I am unable to access the server. I am not particularly sure what is going on here. Below are some of my findings:

1. Running netstat -lntp shows that RServer is running on the right port.
netstat -lntp
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1169/master
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8787            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      27527/rserver
  1. Running rstudio-server status shows that the server is active with no issues.
● rstudio-server.service - RStudio Server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/rstudio-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Mon 2020-09-28 17:58:57 +08; 20h ago
  Process: 27245 ExecStop=/usr/bin/killall -TERM rserver (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 27526 ExecStart=/usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/rserver (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 27527 (rserver)
   CGroup: /system.slice/rstudio-server.service
           └─27527 /usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/rserver

Sep 28 17:58:57 PTAWSG-1RPHap01 systemd[1]: Starting RStudio Server...
Sep 28 17:58:57 PTAWSG-1RPHap01 systemd[1]: Started RStudio Server.
  1. Running rstudio-server verify-installation yields no results. This seems to be an unexpected behaviour?

2. Looking for the Rserver process ps -aux | grep 'rserver' yields:

rstudio+  1976  0.3  0.0 147480  3456 ?        Ssl  14:29   0:00 /usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/rserver
root      2010  0.0  0.0 112812   964 pts/0    S+   14:29   0:00 grep --color=auto rserver
  1. Hitting URL = http://0.0.0.0:8787/ gets me a Network error : 503 code (tcp_error)

Please advise. Appreciate any help I can get.

Yes, definitely, if you don't open the port then you can't connect, This is an example of the security settings I use

Noted with thanks a lot. I will look into this. Appreciate it heaps!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.