Unable to install packages/Create library - Error in install.packages : unable to create - In dir.create(tempPath, recursive = TRUE) : cannot create dir '...', reason 'Invalid argument'

Error Information:

I have just installed R and Rstudio, but when I try to install package through Rstudio, it says

Warning in install.packages :
  'lib = "C:/Program Files/R/R-3.6.1/library"' is not writable
Warning in install.packages :
  cannot create dir 'C:\Users\jimmy\OneDrive\??', reason 'Invalid argument'
Error in install.packages : unable to create ‘C:/Users/jimmy/OneDrive/??/R/win-library/3.6’
Warning message:
In dir.create(tempPath, recursive = TRUE) :
  cannot create dir 'C:\Users\jimmy\OneDrive\??', reason 'Invalid argument'

Anyone knows how to fix this?
Thank you

System Information:

• RStudio Edition: Desktop
  • R Version: 3.6.1

Seems like it doesn't like question marks in the file path. What is the output of calling .libPaths() for you?

.libPaths()

Try creating a directory somewhere locally that you have write permission like C:\Users\jimmy\rlibrary and then setting that as the .libPath in R using

.libPaths("C:\Users\jimmy\rlibrary")

After then, when you're installing packages using the dialog Tools>Install Packages.. make sure that the "Install to Library:" option matches the directory you created.

If that allows you to install packages, you'll have to setup that directory as your default library path. You can do this by creating a .Rprofile file in your home directory and adding the libPaths("path\to\your\lib") command into it so it gets run when Rstudio starts.

1 Like

Run RStudio as administrator to have write permissions on the system level library path "C:/Program Files/R/R-3.6.1/library" or define a user level library on a non cloud-synced folder.

1 Like

Thanks, I ran as an administrator, then it worked!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.