Unable to install Rcmdr, please help ASAP

library(Rcmdr)
Loading required package: splines
Loading required package: RcmdrMisc
Loading required package: car
Loading required package: carData
Loading required package: sandwich
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘RcmdrMisc’ in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...):
unable to load shared object '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/png/libs/png.so':
dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/png/libs/png.so, 6): Symbol not found: _inflateValidate
Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/png/libs/png.so (which was built for Mac OS X 10.13)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib
in /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/png/libs/png.so
Error: package ‘RcmdrMisc’ could not be loaded

I'm in the process of installing Rcmdr, but I keep getting this message every time I try to type in library(Rcmdr). Please help, thank you

What is your version of R? If it's 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 you need to update to the latest (4.0.2), it's a known bug.

If you already have 4.0.2, try to explicitly run install.packages("RcmdrMisc")

I'm currently on 4.0.2, I tried the installation and still get this, I'm currently on Mac version 10.12.6. Should I update to 10.13?

Try install.packages("RcmdrMisc") (not "Rcmdr").

Also, did you follow the instructions and made sure you have X11 or XQuartz available?

1 Like

Yes I installed X11 or XQuartz already, I still get this message. Should I update my mac OS then?

Loading required package: splines
Loading required package: RcmdrMisc
Loading required package: car
Loading required package: carData
Loading required package: sandwich
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘RcmdrMisc’ in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...):
unable to load shared object '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/png/libs/png.so':
dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/png/libs/png.so, 6): Symbol not found: _inflateValidate
Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/png/libs/png.so (which was built for Mac OS X 10.13)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib
in /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/png/libs/png.so
Error: package ‘RcmdrMisc’ could not be loaded

It seems to be a MacOS problem, I don't know enough to solve it, sorry.

Perhaps updating the OS can help. Also, similar problems seem to have been solved by copying the recent version of libz.1.dylib file where needed (1, 2, 3).

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.