Unable to load tidyverse

I am not able to load tidyverse. I think I updated a few packages

1. ggthemes
  2. ggplot2 ( which wasn't updated properly in dev version)
  3. plotly

now I don't know what did they change but I am not able to run dplyr codes.

now it gives me

Error in is_atomic(x) && is_scalar_atomic(y) : 
  object 'rlang_is_atomic' not found

I thought this was something happening with R 3.5 but it happens even after I go to 3.4. I reinstalled these packages from cran but still I have problem. is there anything I can do to set it back. It happened previously and I deleted all my libraries so that I can work. I don't want to do that

there must be a command I don't know to set things in previous stages....

This is what I get even after reinstalling the libarary

library(tidyverse)
-- Attaching packages --------------------------------------- tidyverse 1.2.1 --
v ggplot2 2.2.1     v purrr   0.2.4
v tibble  1.4.2     v dplyr   0.7.4
v tidyr   0.8.0     v stringr 1.3.0
v readr   1.1.1     v forcats 0.3.0
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyverse’:
 .onAttach failed in attachNamespace() for 'tidyverse', details:
  call: is_vector(x)
  error: object 'rlang_is_vector' not found

Sounds like you need to reinstall rlang. This note from a different thread might be relevant:

1 Like

thanks a lot for helping me Out I just reinstalled the package rlang and then the ggplot2 and everything started working just fine. Just for reference say I download a package x and it downloads some dependencies and one of which is broken and other of my packages are dependent upon that as well. How can I trace which package to reinstall to set up everything just fine. I know it's out of context but it is an information I think as an R programmer I should know. Because it can happen again too....

1 Like

That’s a good question, and I think it would make a good topic on its own because I’d love to hear how other people go about debugging package installation and dependency issues, and if anybody has any good resources to share.

For me, it’s mostly a matter of paying close attention to error messages (and general package install or loading messages), and some intuition about where the likely points of failure are. I think the installation/loading messages are sort of overwhelming and cryptic for a lot of people, but if you can get used to it there’s a lot of information buried in there. The intuition I’m afraid I can’t explain — both that and feeling comfortable parsing error messages are skills that slowly built up with experience (I’ve been working in R for a long time). That’s not a very satisfying answer, and I think resources for useR education on this front could be better. I’m sure there’s a lot more I could learn!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

And thanks for being so prompt. I have opened a general discussion for this. Hope you will be interested.

And yes my problem was resolved by your answer. It does work and thanks again for helping me out.

Thank you :grin::grin: