Unable to select 32-bit R version in RStudio v1.2.1047-1 Preview

Apparently this was due to a key RStudio development tool no longer supporting 32-bit:

2 Likes

@woodward This is unfortunate news. I think this means the likelihood of adding support for 32 bit is slim to none. Thank you for finding and sharing this so I can earnestly look into other IDE's for when I develop scripting that has to query via database.

1 Like

This is a problem. I just updated to the new RStudio and am now unable to import my PhD dataset from Access to R using RODBC. I have never been able to find a way to do this using 64 bit R. If anyone has a fix at some point I'd be very grateful. Otherwise I'll be stuck on an old version of RStudio for the duration of my project.

Created an account just to say that I am in the same boat here. I downloaded RStudio 1.2 this morning after hearing about all the new updates on LinkedIn, and am disappointed to find out that this release has actually removed such an important piece of functionality.

I use 32-bit R to RODBC into our 32-bit Oracle database. Given that our database architecture will not be changing anytime soon I will have to skip these new releases.

1 Like

Also created an account for the same reason. Very heartbroken to see that 1.2 does not support 32-bit R. My company will not be changing to 64-bit database anytime soon.

I am hopeful that RStudio will fix this.

Another vote from me. I'm stuck with a 32 bit RODBC connection.

I've reopened this issue to serve as the place to gather feedback and votes on this:

1 Like

This is a problem for me. My company is still runing MS Access 32bit and I need to access the database via odbc.

I apologize for the problems and concerns this has caused.

I have restored 32-bit R support to RStudio 1.2 for Windows. It will be in an upcoming patch release of RStudio 1.2 after it undergoes testing and validation. I will also eventually add this support back to RStudio 1.3.

Please note this will still require 64-bit Windows; this restores the 32-bit R functionality, but the rest of RStudio 1.2 remains 64-bit.

For those who like such things, here's the PR on github: https://github.com/rstudio/rstudio/pull/4775

9 Likes

Wonderful news!

Thank you, and your colleagues, for taking the on board the feedback. I'm so relieved to hear RStudio 1.2 will restore 32-bit R support.

1 Like