Unable to start Rstudio (Permission issue?)

Hi,

I had Rstudio running for a long time before I wanted to upgrade it to match my updated R 4.2.0. However, when I tried to launch Rstudio I'm seeing this error.

## R Session Startup Failure Report

### RStudio Version

RStudio 2021.09.1+372, "Ghost Orchid" (8b9ced18, 2021-11-08) for macOS

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) QtWebEngine/5.12.10 Chrome/69.0.3497.128 Safari/537.36

### Error message

[No error available]

### Process Output

The R session exited with code 1. 

Error output:

[No errors emitted]

Standard output:

[No output emitted]

### Logs

And I found one thread about a similar issue where it suggested a permission problem. I also opened console and found the error message below. 
Aug  2 10:24:37 DOM-0NKL415-LT rsession-root[3344]: ERROR system error 13 (Permission denied) [path: /Users/hsong/.local/share/rstudio, target-dir: ]; OCCURRED AT rstudio::core::Error rstudio::core::FilePath::createDirectory(const std::string &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:838; LOGGED FROM: virtual core::ProgramStatus rstudio::session::Options::read(int, char *const *, std::ostream &) src/cpp/session/SessionOptions.cpp:234
Aug  2 10:24:37 DOM-0NKL415-LT rsession-root[3344]: ERROR system error 13 (Permission denied) [path: /Users/hsong/.local/share/rstudio, target-dir: ]; OCCURRED AT rstudio::core::Error rstudio::core::FilePath::createDirectory(const std::string &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:838; LOGGED FROM: int main(int, char *const *) src/cpp/session/SessionMain.cpp:2020
Aug  2 10:24:37 DOM-0NKL415-LT rdesktop[3326]: ERROR system error 2 (No such file or directory) [path: /Users/hsong/.local/share/rstudio/log]; OCCURRED AT rstudio::core::Error rstudio::core::FilePath::getChildren(std::vector<FilePath> &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:923; LOGGED FROM: void rstudio::desktop::SessionLauncher::showLaunchErrorPage() src/cpp/desktop/DesktopSessionLauncher.cpp:369

However, I did try the solution in that thread by trying "sudo chown $USER ~/.local/share". But nothing happened. I still couldn't launch Rstudio. 

Could someone help me with this? Thank you!

The latest version is 2022.07.1. Give that a try.

Thanks! I think I just resolved the issue.

2022.07.1 version does not work as it's not compatible with my OS. I managed to download the RStudio Version 1.3.1093 and it opens without any error.

Anything above 1.4 would require access to /.local/share it seems.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.