Unhandled Exception: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'lower'

I would like to request help with an error arising when deploying an rmarkdown-Shiny app to shinyapps.io, from RStudio Cloud. The app does run locally well. It also used deploy to shinyapps.io until very recently. Moreover, the app is deploying well to shinyapps.io from Desktop RStudio. Therefore, the issue seems specific to RStudio Cloud.

I've searched a lot but haven't found a solution. Please find the code and the error below.

Code: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pablobernabeu/Modality-exclusivity-norms-Bernabeu-et-al/master/Shiny-app/Dutch-modality-exclusivity-norms.rmd

Error:

Preparing to deploy document...DONE
Uploading bundle for document: 1545957...DONE
Deploying bundle: 2821213 for document: 1545957 ...
Waiting for task: 695239377
  building: Parsing manifest
################################ Begin Task Log ################################ 
################################# End Task Log ################################# 
Error: Unhandled Exception: Child Task 695239379 error: Unhandled Exception: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'lower'
Execution halted

Thank you very much

Hi there,

I dug into this a bit, and there is something weird going on with the "survival" package. For some reason the rsconnect package was unable to detect the package source, which is causing an error in our system.

Can you run packageDescription("survival") and send me the output?

Thanks
-Andy

1 Like

Hi Andy,

Thank you very much. I've just tried to deploy now, without changing anything or running packageDescription("survival"), and the deployment has been successful. I reckon something must have been changed in the server.

Regardless, the output I get from packageDescription("survival") is below:

Title: Survival Analysis
Maintainer: Terry M Therneau <therneau.terry@mayo.edu>
Priority: recommended
Package: survival
Version: 3.1-8
Date: 2019-11-18
Depends: R (>= 3.4.0)
Imports: graphics, Matrix, methods, splines, stats, utils
LazyData: Yes
LazyLoad: Yes
ByteCompile: Yes
Authors@R: c(person(c("Terry", "M"), "Therneau", email="therneau.terry@mayo.edu", role=c("aut", "cre")), person("Thomas", "Lumley", role=c("ctb",
                "trl"), comment="original S->R port and R maintainer until 2009"))
Description: Contains the core survival analysis routines, including definition of Surv objects, Kaplan-Meier and Aalen-Johansen (multi-state)
                curves, Cox models, and parametric accelerated failure time models.
License: LGPL (>= 2)
URL: https://github.com/therneau/survival
NeedsCompilation: yes
Packaged: 2019-12-01 17:42:21 UTC; therneau
Author: Terry M Therneau [aut, cre], Thomas Lumley [ctb, trl] (original S->R port and R maintainer until 2009)
Repository: RSPM
Date/Publication: 2019-12-03 17:30:02 UTC
Encoding: UTF-8
Built: R 3.6.0; x86_64-pc-linux-gnu; 2020-02-23 03:07:17 UTC; unix

-- File: /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.6/survival/Meta/package.rds 

Best regards

Hi,

Thats really interesting. I'm glad to hear its working now. It's possible there was something going on with our package server. I am noting the following in the description that says the package was recently built.

Built: R 3.6.0; x86_64-pc-linux-gnu; 2020-02-23 03:07:17 UTC; unix

I will ping some folks internally to see if they have any insight. I will keep you posted.

1 Like

Thanks a lot

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.