paid / hybrid in San Diego or fully remote within the US / full-time
We are looking for an experienced R developer to join our data science and management team at the University of California, San Diego. Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions about the position!
Reporting to the Associate Director of Data Science & Management, the Data Scientist / Data Manager will be a senior member of a team of research professionals at the ABCD CC and DAIRC, responsible for data quality assurance, monitoring, and reporting as well as the curation and publication of data from the ABCD Study. Using their skills as an expert R developer, the incumbent will be primarily responsible for the design, development, and maintenance/adaptation of efficient and reproducible processing pipelines for the high-dimensional dataset collected in the context of the nationwide study.
Using their advanced skills in statistical analysis and data visualization, they will spearhead the design, development, and maintenance of study reporting tools like automated reports as well as contribute to the development and maintenance of interactive web applications, supporting the groups’ mission to proactively identify issues with study protocol compliance and data quality/completeness, implement solutions, and respond to requests from the consortium. The Data Scientist / Data Manager will work closely with the domain experts in the consortium as well as other stakeholders to develop and implement standards for the curation of the dataset as well as its preparation, review, and correction for public data releases. Will respond to and resolve issues expertly in a timely manner and communicate complex information to users of varying levels of technical expertise.
Uses skills as a seasoned, experienced bioinformatics programming professional with a broad understanding of computational algorithms; identifies and resolves a wide range of issues / software bugs. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Operates independently.
- Bachelor's degree in biological science, computational / programming, or related area plus minimum of four (4) years experience, or equivalent experience/training.
- Thorough knowledge of bioinformatics methods, applications programming, web development and data structures. Excellent data processing, analysis, and visualization skills using the R programming language demonstrated by more than three (3) years of experience, including R package development and functional programming. Experience with the development of automated reporting tools like HTML reports and websites using R Markdown / Quarto.
- Thorough knowledge of bioinformatics programming design, modification and implementation. Strong general scientific programming skills, including the design and development of reliable and efficient data processing pipelines, dealing with large multidimensional datasets. Thorough knowledge of programming and software development best practices: testing, version control, dependency management, reproducible development environments, containerization (Docker/Singularity), continuous integration, etc.
- Understanding of relational databases, web interfaces, and operating systems. *Thorough experience with interfacing with databases using SQL and APIs (e.g., PostgreSQL, MySQL, REDCap). Advanced knowledge of UNIX operating systems and command line tools.
- Strong project management skills.
- Thorough knowledge of modern biology and applicable field of research. Strong experience with the scientific method and research design, ideally demonstrated by previous work in scientific research settings.
- Communication skills to work with both technical and non-technical personnel in multiple fields of expertise and at various levels in the organization. Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate with audiences of diverse levels of expertise.
- Proven ability to write well organized and documented code as well as accompanying technical documentation.
- Thorough knowledge of web, application and data security concepts and methods. Applied knowledge of encryption technologies and standards as well as authentication protocols (e.g., OAuth).
- Experience with human subject research and following research protocols.