paid / full-time / Houston, Texas
The mission of The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center is to eliminate cancer in Texas, the nation, and the world through outstanding programs that integrate patient care, research and prevention, and through education for undergraduate and graduate students, trainees, professionals, employees and the public .
The Program for Innovative Microbiome and Translational Research (PRIME-TR) in the Genomic Medicine Research Department is seeking a highly motivated enthusiastic person with experience in microbiome data analysis and data visualization to participate in cutting-edge cancer-microbiome research. This individual will be tasked with supporting analysis of microbiome and pre/clinical data for PRIME-TR's projects.
Successful applicants will have knowledge on existing software tools to plan and execute a statistical analysis. The ideal candidate will be able to effectively communicate results through various combinations of data summary statistics and visualizations. In addition, excellent written and verbal communication; effective judgment and problem solving, ability to work independently and collaboratively is required., A strong research background in microbiome with interest in translational research is preferred. Strong attention to detail, multi- tasking; and a willingness to learn new technologies is encouraged.
KEY FUNCTIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Participates in the analysis of collaborative microbiome research studies including integration and modeling of data for statistical evaluation.
- Analyze, visualize, and interprets preclinical and clinical microbiome data and communicate results using publication quality figures and tables.
- Assists with raw and analyzed data organization, management, and submission to data repositories.
- Works with teams of individuals to integrate and manage data and metadata and interacts closely with other research staff across institutional functional teams.
- Assists with manuscript and grant preparation.
- Reads literature and confers with supervisor regarding new procedures.
- Maintains a legible and self-explanatory scientific notebook and presenting results during lab meetings and at appropriate scientific conferences.
- Records and evaluates data obtained in accordance with methods requested.
- Work in a clinical and research setting
- Employ safe laboratory practices.
- Other duties as assigned
Employer: University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Location: Houston, Texas
Posted: June 08 2021
Discipline: Health Sciences
Organization Type: Healthcare/Hospital
Required: Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Applied Mathematics or related field.
Education Preferred: Master's degree in a related field or PhD in microbiology, medical, biomedical, computational, mathematical sciences or a related field within engineering or life sciences.
Required: Three years experience in scientific software development/analysis. With preferred degree, one year of required experience.
Experience in developing or implementing software for the analysis of life science data.
Must be highly motivated, reliable, responsible, well organized and a careful record keeper with good attention to details.
Excellent communication skills are required as well as the ability to work well in a collaborative and interdisciplinary team environment.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. Equal Employment Opportunity | MD Anderson Cancer Center