Upcoming R Community Events (week of 2018-07-30)
Week's summary: 12 events in at least 9 countries.
- Monday 2018-07-30, R-Ladies Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
- Monday 2018-07-30, R-Ladies Charlottesville, Charlottesville, United States
- Tuesday 2018-07-31, R-Ladies Munich, München, Germany
- Tuesday 2018-07-31, R-Ladies Guayaquil, Guayaquil, Ecuador
- Tuesday 2018-07-31, Orange County R Users Group (OCRUG), Irvine, United States
- Wednesday 2018-08-01, R-Ladies Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
- Wednesday 2018-08-01, Abidjan R users Meetup, Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
- Wednesday 2018-08-01, Kano R User Group, Kano, Nigeria
- Wednesday 2018-08-01, R-Ladies Vancouver, Vancouver, Canada
- Thursday 2018-08-02, Genève R User Group, Genève, Switzerland
- Saturday 2018-08-04, R-Ladies Dallas, Dallas, United States
- Saturday 2018-08-04, Central Iowa R User Group, West des Moines, United States
- Don't see your event listed? Contact @rachael to get us synced-up with your group.
- If you are thinking of starting an R user group, have a look at the R Consortium R User Group Support Program. It provides financial support to run your r-user group and hooks you up with a pro meetup.com account, greatly easing the organizational load required to manage your group.
If you are interested in starting an R-Ladies meetup group in your city, or would like to find out more information about starting a meetup group, reach out at
info[at]rladies[dot]organd check out rladies.org.
[Visualization Series] Tableau + R 應用
Date: 2018-07-30 at 19:30
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
• 19:30 ~ 20:10 (40 mins) 主議程: Tableau + R 應用 @庭瑋
• 20:10 ~ 20:30 (20 mins) 閃電秀: My Open Source Journey @c9s
• 20:30 ~ 20:50 (20 mins) 閃電秀: AI Applications @Jon Huang
• 20:40 ~ 自由交流時間
• Tableau + R 應用
• My Open Source Journey
• AI Applications
• Jon Huang
Senior Director of Auto Hardware Dept.
交大電機系畢業，美國Penn State University博士，主要研究領域為通訊雷達系統，曾獲頒IEEE/AIAA Digital Avionics Systems Conference 27屆和30屆的Best Paper。在矽谷新創公司做電信業大數據四年半，曾在Linker Networks擔任Chief Data Scientist，負責用機器學習開發AI-enabled 5G、即時影像辨識、智慧城市等案子，目前在ULSee負責車用影像和雷達 Sensor Fusion。熱愛運動、下棋、唱歌。
• Kristen Chan：活動主持人、聯絡講者、活動場地
[Code of Conduct]
基本上這是一個女性學習社群，因此若你不是女性，但出現在我們的實體聚會的話，你很可能被要求以下行為： ... read more at the event page.
Summer of Data Science Book Club
Date: 2018-07-30 at 17:30
Location: Charlottesville, United States
Now that summer is in full swing, it's the perfect time to dive into a longer term project!
We'd like to challenge you to participate in the Summer of Data Science Twitter initiative started by Data Science Renee (https://twitter.com/BecomingDataSci). While the SoDS18 is open to all programming languages and endeavors related to becoming a (better) data scientist, we wanted to host a space within our Cville R-Ladies community to ask questions, provide support, and work together on group projects! Of course, there will also be snacks. :)
How do I participate?
We're going to kick off the book club by working through the first section of R for Data Science by Hadley Wickham and Garrett Grolemund (available for FREE at http://r4ds.had.co.nz/explore-intro.html). We'll start with Data Visualization with ggplot2, and we'll cover a ... read more at the event page.
7 - Data Journalism with R: Experiences from the Süddeutsche Zeitung
Date: 2018-07-31 at 18:30
Location: München, Germany
Summer is here and it's time for another R-Ladies Meetup!
This time it will be Katharina Brunner (Twitter handle @cutterkom), a fellow R-Lady, will tell us about some exciting projects her and her team have been working on at the Süddeutsche Zeitung (SZ), one of the largest and most important newspaper in the South of Germany.
Come join us if you are interested in data journalism or are curious about the following questions...
* Does social media influence elections? If so, how? A case study from last year's elections in Germany.
* How has the German Parliament changed ever since the AfD entered the scene? How do they shape the climate and the processes there? An analysis from the Parliament meetings from the past six months.
* Election trend polls: how reliable are they when predicting election outcomes? A method to summarize results from polls and offer some insights into their estimations and its natural uncertainty.
Whether you are new to R or an ... read more at the event page.
Introducción a RStudio
Date: 2018-07-31 at 19:30
Location: Guayaquil, Ecuador
Las fiestas de Julio se celebran con la iniciativa R en la ciudad!. Estaremos dictando un curso introductorio a RStudio donde podrás familiarizarte con el entorno de desarrollo, tipos y estructuras de datos, uso de paquetes y librerías, entre otras cosas más! Sólo necesitamos que traigas tu laptop y todas las ganas del mundo para aprender R partiendo de lo más básico.
¡Recuerda que todos nuestros eventos son gratuitos!
¡Anímate! ¡Te esperamos!... read more at the event page.
IBM Watson and Pacific Life
Date: 2018-07-31 at 18:30
Location: Irvine, United States
This month we great talks from UCI's first set of graduates in the Master of Science, Business Analytics program. The talks are based on the analysis done by a team of graduate students during their five-month Capstone projects. As an interesting twice, one team did the analysis using python and the other used R. Both are great languages for analytical work.
Talk 1: Pacific Life's Deferred Annuity
Our most essential task in this project is to review the mortality experience from Pacific Life. In particular, we are looking into the mortality from Pacific Life's Deferred Annuity block of business. A Deferred Annuity is a retirement investment vehicle and functions like a mutual fund if managed efficiently. Pacific Life is internally required to use their current model to run periodic projections for the purposes of hedging, pricing and various other activities. Our goal is to identify and analyze the policy attributes that led to the disparity from the model and improve ... read more at the event page.
Intro to R with Summer of Tech data
Date: 2018-08-01 at 18:00
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Join us for a second meetup with Summer of Tech datasets. This informal meetup will consist of intro to R workshop tutorials primarily aimed at beginners, but also welcome and encourage existing R users who would like to help out with mentoring.
About Summer of Tech
- Summer of Tech is a non-profit programme helping students and graduates enter the New Zealand IT industry. We have been finding, growing and matching New Zealand’s tech talent with opportunities, since 2006.
All tutorial outputs and plots to be saved in GitHub for Summer of Tech.
- 5:30pm arrival for a 6:00pm start.
What to bring
- Bring your laptops
- See the GitHub link to the datasets if you would like to look at the data in advance
R for Data Science
Date: 2018-08-01 at 17:00
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Nous ferons une introduction a l'utilisation de R pour la Data Science notamment dans les aspect de l'importation, le rangement, la transformation, la modélisation et la communication des données a partir de R. Prière venir avec un PC.... read more at the event page.
Data Science With R Bootcamp
Date: 2018-08-01 at 20:00
Location: Kano, Nigeria
Training on R for data science... read more at the event page.
August 2018: An evening with Hadley Wickham
Date: 2018-08-01 at 17:30
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Hello R-Ladies community!
We are extremely excited to host Hadley Wickham at our August meetup! Hadley is a Chief Data Scientist at RStudio, a member of the R Foundation, and Adjunct Professor at Stanford University and University of Auckland. He builds tools (both computational and cognitive) to make data science easier, faster, and more fun. His work includes packages for data science (e.g. ggplot2, dplyr, tidyr, purr and readr) and principal software development (roxygen2, testthat, devtools).
Join us for a fun evening with Hadley and fellow R enthusiasts. Mega thanks to Microsoft for supporting this event with venue and pizza!
Here’s the plan:
5:30 pm - arrive & socialize
6:00 pm - doors close
6:10 pm - announc ... read more at the event page.
Genève R Users Meetup
Date: 2018-08-02 at 19:00
Location: Genève, Switzerland
*** NOTE: The SDG Solution space is just on the south-west side of Campus Biotech (see map)**
We are planning to have a couple of presentations by members who will discuss how they use R at work. There will hopefully be a lot to discuss after. We will be providing some crackers and cheese during the meetup so you can hold off dinner temptations for a couple of hours.
Please do bring your curiosity whether you're a beginner or an expert, and good spirits (not the alcoholic type). More details will be shared closer to the date of the meetup. We look forward to seeing you there.
This meetup is organised with the support of the EPFL Extension School ( https://exts.epfl.ch | @epfl_exts (https://twitter.com/epfl_exts)). Event venue is kindly provided by Geneva SDG Solution Space and Université de Geneve ( Sign-up for this event at meetup.com
Venue: SDG Solution Space at Avenue de Sécheron 15, Genève, Switzerland
Organized by Genève R User Group
Coffee & Code
Date: 2018-08-04 at 10:00
Location: Dallas, United States
This will be a more casual meetup. Bring your laptop and a current project, and let's code, share ideas, and have coffee together.
This meetup is open to women and minority genders, with any level of R experience. I look forward to seeing all of you!... read more at the event page.
R and Python study group
Date: 2018-08-04 at 10:00
Location: West des Moines, United States
Are you tired of learning and playing with Python and R alone? Would you like to get together with a few friends and learn together? I have been starting to learn R and Python for data science and following the typical route of videos and practice projects. I really want to ramp up my learning and exposure to different ways. Here is my proposal:
- Gather a small group of 2-5 and learn together.
- Meet at a coffee shop, library, or some other space that has Wi-Fi.
- Pick a project, data set or problem, then work to solve it with different tools.
- Keep it fluid and informal.
- Meet on a regular basis, say weekly to start, and adjust as needed.
- Aim to keep the meetings 2-4 hours long, but this can be adjusted to the project or group. People can come and go as needed.
- It does not have to be the same people each time, so you only have to commit to going once to check it out.
Are you interested? Show up at the meeting spot, have some coffee, meet ... read more at the event page.