Update only 64 bit package version

I am trying to update the SqlRender package on my University 64-bit Windows 10 virtual desktop, which has a 64-bit JAVA version, but not a 32 bit version. I have explained to the system Administrator that, given that the desktops are all 64-bit, there is no need to load both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of R, but he is worried that a different user may want to use the R 32-bit version. The upshot is that I can't update the SqlRender package because the update of the 32-bit version fails, since JAVA_HOME points to a 64-bit version, and once the 32-bit version fails, R declines also to update the 64-bit version.
So my question is whether there is a package installation or update method that permits one to specify to build only the 64 bit version of a package when both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of R are installed.

Many thanks in advance for any help with this question.

Larry Hunsicker

Hi @lhunsicker,
Simple solution is to get the SA to install the 32-bit version of Java.

Failing that, in the RStudio "terminal" tab run

R CMD INSTALL --help

You will see here is an option --no-multiarch which may allow you to build a package from source but only for the 64-bit version.

Many thanks @DavoWW. Following up on your suggestion, I discovered that there is an optional parameter in the install.packages() function, INSTALL_opts that accomplishes the same thing as using, from the terminal:
R CMD INSTALL --no-mulitarch
so that the following call worked right from the R (or RStudio) console:
install.packages('SqlRender', INSTALL_opts = '--no-multiarch')

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.