Use italic in a list

Hi,

I'm writing an R Markdown document about a data analysis I'm doing. The data are described by two readme files. The first one is very short, so I just use the citation formatting. The second is much longer, and contains a numbered list, so I decided to use italic instead than citation. However, italic seems not to play well with lists:

---
title: "foo"
subtitle: "Andrea"
author: "`r Sys.Date()`"
date: "_reading time: 5 minutes_"
output: rmarkdown::html_vignette
---

```{r setup, include=FALSE}
library(knitr)
opts_chunk$set(warning = FALSE,
               message = FALSE,
               echo    = FALSE,
               fig.align  = "center",
               fig.width = 7.25,
               fig.height = 6)
```

## Read data

A `readme.txt` file is provided with the data, containing the following information which clarifies the data format:

_yadayadaya_

_lorem ipsum_

_The data are provided as a zip-compressed text file with 26 columns of numbers, separated by spaces. Each row is a snapshot of data taken during a single operational cycle, each column is a different variable. The columns correspond to:_

_1.	unit number
 2.	time, in cycles
 3.	operational setting 1
 4.	operational setting 2
 5.	operational setting 3
 6.	sensor measurement  1
 7.	sensor measurement  2
 26. sensor measurement_

If you render this file, you'll see that the list is not rendered as, well, a list. Also, is there a way to include empty list items in a list, and skip directly to item 26 in my case? Of course, the dots I used don't achieve the goal.

Have you tried using a single * on either side of the list?

Hi, yes, I tried but it doesn't work. You can test it yourself: there was a small error in my R Markdown, but now my code is reproducible.

This should work for you:

<i>

1.	unit number
 2.	time, in cycles
 3.	operational setting 1
 4.	operational setting 2
 5.	operational setting 3
 6.	sensor measurement  1
 7.	sensor measurement  2

</i>
2 Likes

Perfect! It works. Is that an HTML tag for italic? PS I would like to accept your post as answering my question, but apparently I can't.

1 Like

Yes, it is. If you are knitting to an html document than you can use HTML tags in the document.

As for accepting the answer, you can see this post by @mara about how to accept an answer:

1 Like

Yep, there's a box, usually, but I cannot see it now. Well, consider your answer accepted :wink: