Using as.numeric and lenght

Hello there!

I needed to merge different datasets in R. During this data has been lost. I need to know where / when / in which step(s) this happened, so I need to count the number of values for a specific column (in this case, Calcium and Ketosis), over the different merged / new datasets.

I now am using length for calcium and that works, but lit up a complete new error too, that's for another post.

When I try using
length(which(DfKetosisUterusRaw$Ketosis > 0 ))

for the DfKetosisUterusRaw$Ketosis I get the following:

When I then try to change the $ketosis into numeric i get the following

So at this point, I am stuck. Apparently Ketosis is seen as a factor and I cannot seem to get the column as numeric. Maybe some of you have an idea what I am doing wrong?

Any explanation would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Here is a way of testing the different columns for missing or 0 values

#Dummy data
myData = data.frame(x = 1:10, 
                    y = c(1,5,0.2,0,0,8,NA,5,NA,6.3),
                    z = c(1,NA,0.2,7,0,8,4.3,5,0,6.3))

#Number of values in columns that are missing or 0
nMissing = apply(myData, 2, function(x){
  sum(is.na(x) | x == 0)
})
nMissing
#> x y z 
#> 0 4 3

#Number of 'correct' values in each column 
nrow(myData) - nMissing
#>  x  y  z 
#> 10  6  7

Created on 2021-08-26 by the reprex package (v2.0.1)

The apply function runs a function over each column (option 2 as second argument), in this case a check of NA or 0

Since I could not work with your data or code, I came up with a dummy example. Next time consider creating a reprex. A reprex consists of the minimal code and data needed to recreate the issue/question you're having. You can find instructions how to build and share one here:

Hope this helps,
PJ

1 Like

Dear PieterJan,

Thank you for your answer. I will go and test this right away for the ketosis dataframe! I will try to make a reprex. I have looked into creating reprex before and to be honest, for me it isn't that simple as it seems... but I ll give it some more hours.

Thanks so much

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.