Using lmer(REML) from lme4 package to perform variance analysis

Hi there,

I was using lmer(REML) from lme4 package to perform variance analysis. The data set consists of 96 observations collected from 16 subjects (ID), 3 treatments (Treatment ) and 2 time points (before/after treatment). There were few data points missing, in total, I have 80 observations. I fit a model as following to estimate the fixed effects of the condition, time and their interaction, plus a random effect for each specific subject. I got the error saying observation is less than the number of random effects, is this normal? I thought with REML the model should have handled the missing values? Do I have to mark the missing data as NA?

fit1 <- lmer(Mean ~ Treatment * Time + (1 + Treatment * Time | ID), data = dat)

Error: number of observations (=80) <= number of random effects (=96) for term (1 + Treatment * Time | ID); the random-effects parameters and the residual variance (or scale parameter) are probably unidentifiable

Another question is do you think this model is correct? I went to lmer with RMEL because I learned it could deal with missing values and I was about to perform a 2-way rmANOVA analysis to show if there are any significant treatment effects.

Thanks,
ZC

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.