Using Python in RStudio (open source) or do I need a paid version?

I looked for an answer but didn't find one, so please let me know if I missed something.

I'm an undergrad student and fairly inexperienced in coding in general. I started with RStudio in a class last year, and this past spring discovered I could use Python in RStudio. So, I had an intro to Python class where I was able to set up RStudio and completed .py files easily.

Now, I'm starting another class that takes it a bit further, and but is having us use packages and notebooks - numpy, scipy, pandas, matplotlib, jupyter, etc. (I should mention that I really have no idea what any of this means).

So, is this something I am able to set up and use within the open source IDE or does it require any paid versions?

The issue I'm running into is that the instructions that I am finding on the web don't do a good job of saying whether parts of the setup are paid versions or not - and so it leaves me lost. Very little recent information seems to exist that is geared towards anyone new to this type of environment like myself, and instead seem to be set up for people with a lot of prior understanding of how this all works.

I don't need to publish any notebooks, I just need to be able to push things to GitHub and read ".yml" files.

So, if I need a paid version to do these things, what do I need to purchase? Or, if I can do all of this in the open source, which instructions are dumbed down enough for a NOOB like me to follow?

Thank you.

Also, does Python automatically update in RStudio or is there something I'm supposed to do to make sure it updates regularly like I do with updating base R?

You are mentioning the use of Jupyter Notebooks, Jupyter is another IDE (similar to RStudio) but more focused on Python so if your course is about Python and they are going to be using Jupyter then I would say you should use that tool too.

RStudio has some Python integration but it is more focused in R, the integration features are great if you do most of your work in R with occasional or light use of Python but if you are going to be using just Python (the most likely scenario if you are taking a Python course) is better to use a specialized IDE like Jupyter.

RStudio Workbench (the paid professional product) has the capability of launching Jupyter sessions, but they are still Jupyter sessions so you can get pretty much the same basic functionality by installing Jupyter independently.

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate the answer - I just did a search and came across JupyterLab - is this an IDE and a good one to use then?

Yes, it is very good for Python, but there is a difference between JupyterLab and Jupyter Notebooks, the former is a more complete IDE. Although I would recommend you should use the same tools your instructors are using and once you get a better understanding of the language and the Python ecosystem in general you can choose the IDE that better suits your workflow.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.