Using RStudio.cloud for teaching

Hi, I am trying to set up RStudio.cloud for teaching and have created a project under my account. I have asked a few students to click on the link and try to see if we can login etc. before I build up the materials. After about the third student we are all unable to get access to the project? Is there a user limit for each project? My class will have around 50 students.

thanks

I usually simpy let the students create their own account and then I have a zip file prepared with all the materials. Then they upload that, run the configuration script and we're good to go :+1:

1 Like

hi @curley,

After about the third student we are all unable to get access to the project? Is there a user limit for each project?

I'm sorry you had trouble with this. We do not currently have any limits like that. Did your students see any error messages, or did the projects just not open?

If you posted this immediately after running into this problem, you may have encountered an issue we had with the service a little over 3 hours ago. System status can be found here: https://status.rstudio.com/

If this was indeed the cause of your issue, your students shouldn't have any trouble opening projects now. Can you please try again?

Also: if your class is going to have 50 students in it and you're planning to use a space for coursework, you'll likely need more capacity than the default space gives you (10 members and 25 total projects). To get more capacity, please go to the Projects or Members page of your space and click the “Request More Capacity” button, fill out the form that appears and submit it. We’ll get a support ticket with all the info we need to upgrade your account.

Mel

1 Like

Thanks @mel - yes, I think I ran into issues during the service downtime a few hours ago. I can get it to work now.

Should the "Request More Capacity" button be already present in my workspace? I currently only have 2 individuals in it (myself and the TA) and I have set up 11 projects. I don't see the button (I may not be looking in the right place). I will start using this with my class on Friday morning in class. I could get them to register ahead of the class if I need to have exceeded the limit before the button appears.

thanks!

btw - Thanks for rcloud - I think this is going to be much better for my beginner class than using the regular IDE

1 Like

Hi @curley,

Happy to hear it, and thanks for using RStudio Cloud!

Would you please send me a link to your space (via private message is fine)? I can take a look at it and make sure you've got what you need.

Thanks!
Mel

Thanks @mel

Happy to share the link. I'm not sure how to send a private message though! Are you able to send one to me and I can reply with the link?

thanks

Hi @curley,

Sure thing, just sent you a direct message (I used the wrong terminology before). You should be able to reply to me there.

Mel

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.