using template file to generate powerpoint slides via R Markdown

I've been trying to play around with RMD files to generate powerpoint slide decks. One of the critical features for me is to be able to use a custom template. Starting off with the basic template in R Studio, the only edit I made was to include a single line in the YAML header to designate the custom template:

---
title: "Powerpoint trial"
author: "Mario Niepel"
date: "2/1/2021"
output: 
  powerpoint_presentation:
    reference_doc: template.pptx
---

Without this line the PPT comes out exactly as described in the instructions:

Powerpoint deck as it should be.

However, when I include the template I get a warning:

Warning that Powerpoint slide deck requires repairs.

And when I ask to attempt to repair the presentation, it is mostly garbled:

Content of Powerpoint deck after repair attempt.

Even though the slide master in my template is properly designated, in the new version the slide master is essentially empty:

Slide master view of knitted document.

Is there a place the lists the exact requirements for a template? Is there something else I should be checking?


EDIT: In addition, I read up on the description for powerpoint/rmarkdown use of templates that says four levels of slides are needed for the template (Title, Title + Content, Section Header, Two Content). Those are the only four slide layouts I currently have in my template.

It seems you are using Sharepoint ? (from what I see in the screenshot).

Can you try also locally with the same pptx file you have for the template ?

How did you create the template file ? Best is to modify one generated using R Markdown and Pandoc, and not build one from scratch using PPTX directly.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.

Thanks for you suggestion. Changing from Sharepoint to local does not make a difference. The files are actually local and only synched via Sharepoint.

However, additional troubleshooting shows that this is an issue with the specific template that I am working with. It works just fine with built-in MS templates -- even if I modify them. Unfortunately, I am not able to recreate the layout I need, so I can't tell what is breaking things. I will probably have to go a different route (e.g. embedded PNGs that get updated when my R scripts update them).