Paid / Arlington, VA / Full-Time
Familiarity with Python, and the RStudio Team environment (RStudio Workbench, Connect & Package Manager) is desirable.
Why join our team?
With a mission that spans the globe, the USO provides a rewarding and fulfilling work environment. Our team is exceptional, and we offer generous paid time off, including volunteer days and military leave. We have a remarkable 401k match, comprehensive benefits, and opportunities for training and education reimbursement. Our team members are passionate about putting the mission first, and we have a lot of fun while doing it. Working for the USO isn't just a job – it's a calling, and we believe in doing what you love and loving what you do.
Don't just take our word for it. An independent external survey found that:
- 97% of employees enjoy their work
- 90% are satisfied with their pay and benefits
- 95% would recommend working here to friends and family
- 95% would recommend our USO services to a friend.
The Business Intelligence and Reporting Manager is responsible for providing data analysis and reporting needed for the operation success of the USO Development and Marketing Enterprise. The expectation of this position is to provide directive driven reporting analysis in a timely manner. Develops quality reporting deliverables, implements effective reporting throughout the department. Will maintain relationships throughout the institution with data stewards of other departments.
*Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Duties)
- Drive return on investment in USO's data infrastructure to produce data-informed insights more reliably and rapidly. *
- Develop frameworks and deliver analyses to lead executive-level decision-making and prioritization across the organization. *
- Wrangle and query data, enhance insights, process data leveraging statistical packages, and create tools and models to identify donor and revenue trends, primarily through an RStudio/R-language & Microsoft Excel based ecosystem. *
- Develop and lead internal R programming language training efforts and new user training for data analytics tools. *
- Coordinates within the Development Business Operations Department and the Information Technology Department for the resolution of data integrity issues, creation of special reports and dashboards, and for the design and implementation of scripts used to execute mass record information updates.
- Processes reporting requests daily, either requiring the execution of existing reports, or creation of new solutions. At times reports will need to be adjusted or updated to fit the changing needs of the department, while considering for specific requests in data. Responsible for interpreting organizational needs and presenting data in a way that will drive successful organizational decisions.
- Expected to support reviewing and testing files for compatibility and stability, often working with large data sets. Expected to remain inquisitive and forward-thinking in technology integration, reporting platforms, individual records management, and overall approaches to information accuracy, in order to support the long-term growth in data maturity at the Organization.
- Cross-collaboration with the Department of Information Technology to ensure reporting and operational redundancies for institutional continuity.
- Produce technical documentation of developed solutions, architectural specifications, process flows, application design, application configuration, testing, etc. *
- Participate in project team meetings and communicate effectively with peers, architects, business analysts, project managers and various business departments. *
- Judge the tradeoffs with technology and feasibility, validate and make choices that fit project(s) constraints. *
- Lead, prioritize, and oversee a wide variety of Development Operations report and dashboard projects from ideation through design, development, testing, and delivery of finished product.
- Effectively collaborate across a variety of technical and non-technical functions to drive towards common reporting goals. Clearly communicate insights, methodology, and recommended actions with non-technical stakeholders.
- Collaborate with other Development Operations teams to drive data management, data hygiene, monitoring & evaluation best practices. Drive process improvement and testing automation to ensure high-quality data products are delivered as efficiently as possible.
- Document, design, and deploy data reports, data assessments and workflows.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Information/Data Sciences, or closely related field.
- 5+ years of work experience in the data management field with full understanding and practice of the reporting analytics from design to implementation. Experience at a not-for-profit, military, multicultural and/or global organization is a plus.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in development and administration of the RStudio platform, including RMarkdown / Quarto documents, and Shiny App development.
- Ability to gather and document technical requirements and use them to develop analytics.
- 2 Years of familiarity with Python, and the RStudio Team environment (RStudio Workbench, Connect & Package Manager) is desirable.
- Proven experience with statistics and data modeling for the purposes of data analysis and forecasting, as well as ability to present results and methods in a meaningful way for operational and business planning.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service and problem-solving skills. Ability to articulate and translate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Must show initiative, self-motivation, desire to innovate, and attention to detail and quality.
- Ability to obtain and maintain proper credentials necessary to access USO Center locations and facilities including but not limited to security, credit and/or background screening, SOFA status, valid driver’s license.
- Must be a strong advocate of the USO’s mission to lift the spirits of America’s service members and their families.
- This position is located in Arlington, VA. Preference will be given to local candidates within commuting distance to the location. Relocation assistance or remote working arrangements may be considered for highly qualified candidates.
- USO locations will adhere to local area and DOD guidelines regarding COVID vaccination/testing requirements. Employees may be required to be vaccinated or tested regularly per local requirements.
- Resume and cover letter are required for full consideration.
- Background check – education, criminal and driving required.
- The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other areas to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
If that’s not enough to convince you, here are some direct quotes from employees:
- The organization truly cares about the people who work here.
- I have been with the USO for 4 years and have consistently been able to grow in my knowledge and position. It is a fun place to work and my work/life balance is manageable. The way the organization has handled COVID has been top notch - I never felt fearful that I would lose my job or be put in a situation where I did not feel safe. The benefits are great - PTO and 401k matching are top level.
- There is great consideration given and extended in the following areas: organizational core values for all, work-life balance, impact we can actually see (and even experience as a staff member- the feeling of making an impact is priceless), autonomy with respect to current position within the organization.
- Everyone is friendly and easy to talk to. We collaborate well together and share ideas and interests to create fun activities for our overall goal in the community. I couldn't think of a better organization to work for.
- The mission alone provides a positive and meaningful purpose, where people should want to work and be a part of. Most of the people who work for the USO and volunteer for the USO have giving hearts and want to make a difference. This also makes the organization a place where people would want to work.
- The mission and opportunities to make a Difference are amazing. There is no doubt that the USO is one of the most forward-facing, frontline serving nonprofits that I know of.
Apply today and be a force behind the forces