Very limited RAM in session precludes spatial teaching

Hi there -

Great job on this cloud venture - it is a very nice tool.

I am using this service for teaching university students, however, am stuck against memory limitations which cause a java file to error. Is there any way to increase the amount of RAM available - even to a meager 2GB?

Unfortunately, even the most rudimentary spatial modelling operations use at least one GB of memory. Consequently, we are unable to use the service for teaching spatial operations to students given these limitations.

Cheers,
Casey

From previous posts on the 1GB limitation, my understanding is that includes not only data, but packages and any external dependencies. So, it's unsurprising that you're running short and probably even toy examples could pose obstacles.

A year ago they were planning to offer options for more memory. But I haven't seen any updates. The poster @andy_kipp is still around, and maybe this will catch his eye or you can DM him. It would be great if they were also offering academic pricing, but I have no insight into that.

Thanks for the information. I will try to DM andy_kipp.

Hopefully they can assist - it would be a shame to not be able to use this resource.

Interesting discussion about the limited RAM in RStudio sessions.

I'm not sure if this helpful but I spent some time wrestling with memory issues in RStudio.cloud.

I spent a good bit of time trying to figure out why my bookdown project hosted on github would work on my local install of RStudio but not RStudio.cloud.

I was getting an error of "Exited with status 9." Some hunting around suggested this is running out of memory but the Pandoc function was declaring the same amount of memory. ( -K512m ) on both the local install and RStudio.cloud. It is a 170 page book. Pandoc seems to finish generating the TeX document of about about 500K but generated the error when before the LaTeX engine generated the PDF.

This morning I closed the tab, opened the project in rstudio.cloud, and it fully worked, generating the PDF.

The repo is OR Using R for anyone that would like to further experiment.