Video lag Xubuntu19.10, weirdly worse than other programs

Originally posted here, there's a video lag bug which started in ubuntu 19.10, probably due to the nvidia driver update, as detailed here, here (by me) and bug report here.

This makes working in RStudio incredibly frustrating but (from y'all's POV), that sucks but it's not your problem. I thought. But I just realised that this issue isn't present in Libreoffice. Check side by side video of the same behaviour in both LO Writer & RStudio latest (1.3.935 installed today). With right arrow pressed, the cursor moves immediately and smoothly in LO, whereas in RStudio it lags before starting, and pauses intermittently for different periods of time.

I don't know enough (/anything) about how these two programs use the video driver differently, but IO figured this might be a useful diagnostic step in getting this resolved.

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried changing to software rendering?, you can change it by holding the Ctrl key while opening RStudio, then you should see this menu and change the "Rendering Engine" to "Software".

Thanks for the suggestion Andre. Just gave that a try but no change unfortunately. That said, if I click crtl when I open RStudio, nothing happens. I can change the setting in the options:

Which causes a restart of RStudio but then when it restarts, Auto-detect is selected again. So I'm not sure how I can force this change to persist across restarts?

Also: anything else I might try changing in those settings?

Cheers again!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.