Warning message on startup - undefined subcclass "DataFrameFactor"

Hi everyone!

I'm still new to R, and today I've been trying to figure out why I'm getting this error message on startup, right after loading tidyverse:

> "In .recacheSubclasses(def@className, def, env) :
> undefined subclass "DataFrameFactor" of class "vector_OR_Vector"; definition not updated"

This error message wasn't happening before, and unfortunately I believe it is causing downstream errors on my (what used to be) functioning code. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

R version 4.2.1 (2022-06-23 ucrt) -- "Funny-Looking Kid"
Copyright (C) 2022 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
Type 'license()' or 'licence()' for distribution details.

R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
Type 'contributors()' for more information and
'citation()' on how to cite R or R packages in publications.

Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help, or
'help.start()' for an HTML browser interface to help.
Type 'q()' to quit R.

[Workspace loaded from F:/PhD/R/.RData]

Loading required package: phyloseq
> library(phyloseq)
Warning message:
In .recacheSubclasses(def@className, def, env) :
  undefined subclass "DataFrameFactor" of class "vector_OR_Vector"; definition not updated
> library(tidyverse)
── Attaching packages ────────────────────────────────────────────────── tidyverse 1.3.2 ──
✔ ggplot2 3.4.0      ✔ purrr   0.3.5 
✔ tibble  3.1.8      ✔ dplyr   1.0.10
✔ tidyr   1.2.1      ✔ stringr 1.4.1 
✔ readr   2.1.3      ✔ forcats 0.5.2 
── Conflicts ───────────────────────────────────────────────────── tidyverse_conflicts() ──
✖ dplyr::filter() masks stats::filter()
✖ dplyr::lag()    masks stats::lag()
Warning messages:
1: In .recacheSubclasses(def@className, def, env) :
  undefined subclass "DataFrameFactor" of class "vector_OR_Vector"; definition not updated
2: In .recacheSubclasses(def@className, def, env) :

This is potentially relevant - I updated tidyverse today :S

errors are best approached from top to bottom rather than bottom to top; I would be investigating phyloseq

1 Like

Hmm, so no matter what library I try to load first, or even setwd, this error comes up.

my googling suggests this may be Bioconducter related, are you a bioconducter user ?
answering my own question as phyloseq is from Bioconducter.
Therefore I guess I would uninstall - reinstall the bioconducter framework, and see if that solves; and if not seek help from that community; the related github issue trackers etc.
The items mentioned seemed to particularly relate to
Bioconductor - S4Vectors

1 Like

Thank you so much nirgrahamuk!
You were right, and it turns out the phyloseq package was the problem - and was being automatically loaded into my environment. A quick package uninstall/resintall solved my issues :slight_smile:

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.