WCIRB - Workers' Compensation Insurance Rating Bureau of California - Data Analyst, Data Analytics
Data Analyst, Data Analytics - WCIRB - Workers' Compensation Insurance Rating Bureau of California
paid / Oakland, California / full-time
The Data Analyst is responsible for 1) providing statistical programming expertise in SQL, R or Python to access, analyze and report data descriptives and analysis results under moderate supervision, 2) assisting with implementation of data analysis and research on the medical care delivery, industry classifications and other research topics in the California workers’ compensation system, and 3) development and maintenance of analytical products and reports.
The Data Analyst will work on various WCIRB datasets, such as medical and indemnity transaction data, Policy and Unit Statistical Report data, Hoovers data and inspection report data. The Analyst is also expected to utilize external datasets to enhance analysis.
The Data Analyst reports to Associate Director, Data Analytics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist with the implementation of medical and classification analytics projects through:
• Independently developing well-documented and reproducible scripts in SQL, R or Python for pulling and wrangling data for the Analyst’s own work and for the use of research staff in studies or to address ad-hoc requests.
• Performing accuracy and reasonableness checks to assure quality of the working dataset is appropriate to each study.
• Communicating clearly to research staff the rules employed to prepare the working datasets for study.
• Assisting with statistical analyses (e.g., hypothesis testing, regression analysis, predictive modeling) to answer the key research questions.
• Developing data visualization to effectively highlight trends and patterns.
• Preparing tables and figures to present analysis results in reports and presentations.
• Assuring analysis results are accurate following the Data Analytics team review protocol.
• Providing technical and peer review of other analysts’ work.
• Communicating results via written and oral presentations.
• Develop and maintain automation of routine analysis data and reporting tasks, including quarterly medical benchmarking reports.
• Interact and communicate with representatives of other units of the WCIRB on various analytics-related and operational projects and issues.
Education, Experience, and Skill Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor’s Degree or above in a quantitative field such as statistics, economics, data science, computer science or other related field.
• A minimum of two years of SQL, R or Python programming experience in a Data Analyst or equivalent role, or through coursework.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the U.S. healthcare system, U.S. industry classifications or property/casualty insurance obtained through work or internship experience.
• Proficient in building functions and producing graphs in R or Python.
• Track record of completed analytical projects in R or Python.
• Experience with statistical modeling (e.g., regression analysis), text analytics, geospatial data or predictive modelling.
• Experience in working with relational databases, large data sets and multiple data sources.
• Ability to communicate both effectively and professionally, both verbally and in writing.
• Strong listening and interpersonal skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft office suite.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Job requires approximately 90% sitting, 10% standing/walking.
• Significant time spent at keyboard and monitor.
• Some telephone and copy machine use.
The work environment characteristics described in this section are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Steady stream of analytical work, decision-making, research, telephone work, meetings.
• Work requires attention to detail, follow-through and analysis of collected information.
Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time. As such, the job description may be revised depending on the WCIRB’s needs. Further, this job description is a general summary of responsibilities and requirements and is not intended to be all-inclusive of the responsibilities and requirements of this position.
Apply to this position
Apply here: https://wcirb.applytojob.com/apply/2UbqkfpnaD/Data-Analyst-Data-Analytics