What are your favorite books on pure statistics?

Not sure why I was so cryptic in the description. I guess I still think I’m on Twitter! No, Royall explicitly criticizes the Bayesian and frequentist paradigms as being inappropriate for characterising evidence and goes through a few examples of when/why they fail.

1 Like

downloads all of the above

4 Likes

I'm also reading it now, and watching the lectures on YouTube which are really wonderful. These links are pretty helpful for anyone interested in McElreath's book:

For the bayes v. freq arguments do you ever just grab some :popcorn: and watch Daniel Lakens argue with people on twitter and in Gelman's comments section? Or is that just me being a weird lurker?

2 Likes

Cosign. These would be my top picks for linear regression and Bayesian stats.

1 Like

I highly recommend ISLR too. Great book that goes over core concepts in data mining/machine learning

2 Likes

From my experience, these two (ISLR and ESL) seem to get some consensus between R users. Those would be my recommendations too.

1 Like

It's not finished yet, but from the little I've read, I really like the way @rdpeng explains things in:

For example his chapter on Expectation-Maximization is the cleanest explanation I could find on the subject: https://bookdown.org/rdpeng/advstatcomp/the-em-algorithm.html

I also logged in to recommend ISLR. I haven't read ISL (which was recommended earlier), but found ISLR to be at a really good level for me (I also needed to shore up some of my classroom experience and wanted something that felt practice-oriented). This thread has turned into a good resource for recommendations!

Perhaps this collection would be of use. Each cover is linked to the table of contents.

1 Like

I'm now super curious how a crack on your phone showed up in a screenshot. :hushed:

If magic is out of the question, I’d say The new interface for photo editing in iOS 11 tripped me up into unnoticed scribble. But you “crack” theory gave me a rush.

Someone just hast to mention Ludwig Fahrmeir et al, Regression: Models, Methods and Applications