What is the effect of deleting versus removing another's project from a Cloud space?

I created a space for a course I'm teaching, and I'd like to clean out all the existing projects.

I know from this RStudio Community post that if I click 'Delete' on one of my students' projects, the project will be moved to the student's personal workspace. But that's also what the confirmation window that appears when I click 'Remove' says will happen -- in what context would 'Delete' and 'Remove' have different effects?

Hi @dromano,

I know from this RStudio Community post 2 that if I click 'Delete' on one of my students' projects, the project will be moved to the student's personal workspace.

The post that you're referencing here is actually talking about deleting a space, not a project. If you click the "Delete" button on one of your students' projects (and confirm in the dialog that pops up), that project will be moved to the space's trash, and if you empty the trash, that project will be deleted permanently. The "Remove" button will do what you expect: send that project to the student's personal workspace.

Related to this: if you remove a user from a space, all projects they have created will be sent to that user's personal workspace, including projects in the trash (those projects will be moved to the user's personal workspace trash). If you don't want this to happen, you'll need to "Delete" the projects in question and then empty the trash before removing space members. In the future, we'll be adding a facility to control what to do with projects authored by a user when removing them from a space.

Also, we're about to release a change that will fold the "Remove" functionality into a broader "Move Project" dialog. I mention this in the event that you open RStudio Cloud in the next few days and wonder where the "Remove" button has gone.

Hope this is helpful, please let us know if you have any questions about this (or anything else).

Best,
Mel

Thanks, Mel, and so just to confirm I understand, it sounds like deleting a space has the same effect on student projects as removing them one by one, whereas deleting one student's project from the space only affects the space, and doesn't move anything to the student's personal workspace -- is that right?

Best,
David

hi David,

I think you have it right:

Projects: if you delete a project, it will be moved from the space's Projects listing to the space's Trash. From there, if you then Empty the Trash, those projects will be permanently deleted.

Spaces: if you delete a space, any projects in that space will currently be moved to the personal workspace of the project author. This is the same as removing them one by one, and also what happens automatically today if you remove a user from a space.

I'm not sure if this is your plan, but if you also want to clean out the existing space members, you'll want to keep this in mind, too:

Hope that helps,
Mel

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.