What was the most common problem when moving from Excel to R? [Excel -> R Meetup Q&A]

This is a question from the recent webinar. Learn more here Meetup: Making the Shift from Excel to R: Perspectives from the back-office

What was the most common problem when moving from Excel to R? What did you struggle with most early on and how did you overcome this?

Mandip: The most common problem I found was package updates. Not specific to the tidyverse, I started off by messing around with whatever was going to do exactly what I wanted to do right away; sometimes you may find packages on github to reconcile things and that was one of the most frustrating things for me

Secondly, the other problem was convincing my company to allow me to install R on my own computer but again that’s where I had to sit down and think about that value add. When I was able to demonstrate that value add, that helped.

As I think about this more, the third challenge was that I didn’t start with the tidyverse (about 4-5 years ago) and I couldn’t find what I needed right away, and maybe I wasn’t searching well enough. When I found the tidyverse and the R for Data Science Book, it just clicked for me.