When is a package a part of the tidyverse and how I should I interpret a hexagon in a package logo?

On Tidyverse packages you can find lines like:

Install all the packages in the tidyverse by running install.packages("tidyverse") .

Because the line says all the packages, I read this as meaning "Tidyverse packages are only the ones that are installed with install.packages("tidyverse")."

I am confused by the increasing number of package logos that use the hexagon. I have always interpreted the hexagon as saying "this package is a part of the tidyverse," but many (great) packages that use hexagon logos are not installed with install.packages("tidyverse") (e.g., skimr ).

Hadley Wickham has outlined the philosophy behind the tidyverse packages in the tidy tools manifesto.

Does a hexagon in the logo simply state that the package authors follow the manifesto? Or how should I interpret the hexagon?

If the tidyverse is reserved for packages found at described at tidyverse.org - Do we then have a name for all the other (hexagon) packages that follow the manifesto?

The current galaxies in the tidyverse are listed here.

As far as I know, the hex badge is used by tidy-inspired packages a lot, and by package designers who have decided that it's a recognizable badge for "package."

1 Like

Hi:
Hexagon badges have no relationship with tydiverse. You can find them easily out of tidyverse or R.
Cheers

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.