Where do .Rd files have to be located?

I am writing documentation for a small R project. The project is in Shiny ; I'd rather not put it inside a package, and not use roxygen2.

All I want is to generate an Rd file manually, and then be able to view the information on a function via Rstudio's autocomplete functionality.

My question is where does the .Rd file have to be located so that its contents are automatically recognized?

Hi @UserSam,

If you have functions with documentation, you are already so close to a package that it seems to make sense to just add a bare bones DESCRIPTION and NAMESPACE file and you'll get everything you want from RStudio. Why are you against making it a lightweight package?

A package for personal use doesn't need to be anything more than an R script or two, some documentation (by roxygen or otherwise), and the two files mentioned above.

Help documentation is recognized automatically for any installed R package. I don't think you can get the benefits of help documentation and more descriptive autocompletion in RStudio without making it a simple package.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.