WIll RStudio Cloud permit packages that need compilation?

Hi All

Does RStudio Cloud allow access to packages such as "RStan" that need compilation? I'm planning to use RStudio cloud for an introductory class on Probabilistic Programming using RStan and Brms packages. Hence my question.

Sree

yes. But only if you properly capitalize the package names:

install.packages(c("rstan","brms"))

You can just log in and try it, if you want. That's what I did.

You should run all your material in rstudio.cloud prior to teaching the class. Just to make sure there are no limitations caused by the 1GB RAM constraint.

@jdlong

Thanks for getting back. Yes I was able to install correctly. I tried t (o test the installation with simple Stan model (from this link

I got the following error:

Error in compile Code(f, code, language = language, verbose = verbose) :
Compilation ERROR, function(s)/method(s) not created! In file included from /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.5/BH/include/boost/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.hpp:28:0,
from /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.5/BH/include/boost/shared_ptr.hpp:17,
from /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.5/StanHeaders/include/stan/math/prim/mat/fun/LDLT_factor.hpp:7,
from /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.5/StanHeaders/include/stan/math/prim/mat/err/check_ldlt_factor.hpp:6,
from /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.5/StanHeaders/include/stan/math/prim/mat.hpp:33,
from /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.5/StanHeaders/include/stan/math/rev/mat.hpp:12,
from /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.5/StanHeaders/include/stan/math.hpp:4,
from /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-libr
In addition: Warning message:
In system(cmd, intern = !verbose) :
running command '/opt/R/3.5.0/lib/R/bin/R CMD SHLIB filec9788d3277.cpp 2> filec9788d3277.cpp.err.txt' had status 1
Error in sink(type = "output") : invalid connection

Any pointers on what might have gone wrong?

Sree

this is a Stan issue. So I can't really help as I've never used it. What you're seeing is an error thrown by the compiled stan code. I have no idea if it's a resource issue or not. Possibly the stan folks can help you decode it.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.