I am trying to get Tesseract-ocr to be "ready for R". I am by no means the developer most of you are, but I did work at Nortel in their Unix Sys Admin group for about 7 years between 1997 and 2004. Most of my knowledge is dated, but most of the good programs with staying power that were around between 1997 and 2004 are still around. I am trying to convert a lot of pdf images into text. During my search, I have discovered Git, TCPKG, (and possibly CMAKE) are the "holy grail" that permits me to investigate a GIT package because it permits me to compile it on my desktop rather than getting a ZIP package for GitHub, putting it in a place where I can remember where it is, and trying to get the toolset to compile it on Win10 when it was really written for Linux.
I view R as an extremely good software and RStudio is also an extremely good organization. The R software package is similar to the X Windows software package in that it has been around a long time and has the "test of time" going in its favor. Like the X Windows system, there are certain factors that have to be maintained in order to have a functioning X Windows system. Although I have beating my way thru the Ubuntu on Win10 and have a partially running X Windows system on my Win10 Desktop, it is not stable. I do not want to run into the same issues with R that I ran into with X Windows that are not fully resolved as I write this message.
I know when I need to collaborate, and I need to collaborate now. Reply to this thread if you see some value in collaborating with an old Unix head that is trying to become "modernized".