Writeup: internal-package distribution

This is an extension of a thread started in the #package-development forum. Thanks to some kind feedback, I was encouraged to make a post in here in #r-admin on an article I had written on internal-package distribution.

The problem being addressed is how to build and maintain a CRAN-like repository for private packages within an "internal" environment, like a company or an institution. You want the convenience and robustness of install.packages(), but you cannot share the package beyond your institution.

tl;dr version: the method I propose uses the drat package with an instance of GitHub Enterprise.

The longer version is addressed by a package I am working on, called ghentr, to help you use some of devtools' GitHub "magic" with your instance of GitHub Enterprise.

If you are still interested in learning more, there's also a presentation you can watch from #rstudio-conf (2018).

5 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Internal CRAN-like system - best practices

None that we've discovered – the best way we've found thus far is just to link to the other (as you did), which does show up at the bottom of the other thread. (Kind of like with GitHub issues and pull requests).

2 Likes

Thanks @mara!

In that case, in addition to apologizing to all concerned, I'd like to suggest that this be the last post in this thread, and that any discussion be continued over in the original thread.

I know you should have been last, but just to add something : I think an admin (@EconomiCurtis ?) can lock a thread. It could be the solution to keep only one thread by locking this one.

1 Like