Writing Functions that Accept "Factor" and "Numerical" inputs

I am working with the R programming language. I am trying to optimize a function that can accept "numerical" and "factor" inputs. For the optimization, I am using the "GA" library. Here are the references I am using:

Suppose I have a function that looks like this:

my_function <- function(r1, r2) {

#define function here, e.g:

#this "select" can be done using "dplyr" or SQL
 part1 <- SELECT * FROM my_data WHERE (col_1 IN r1) AND (col_2 > r2) 

part2<- mean(part1$col_3)

}

In this example:

• "r1" can take any "group" of values of "a, b, c, d" (factor variable.) . For example, "r1 = a", "r1 = a, d", "r1 = b,c,a", "r1 =c", "r1 = a, b, c, d", etc.
  • "r2" can take a single value between 1 and 100 (numeric variable).
  • "my_data" is a dataset that has 3 columns : col_1 (factor variable, can only take values ""a, b, c, d"), col_2 (numeric variable), col_3 (numeric variable .
  • "my_data" will be "subsetted" according to "r1" and "r2".
  • the "mean" of col_3 is the value that "my_function" will return, given a choice of "r1" and "r2".
  • the "mean" of col_3 will is the value that I am trying to optimize for a choice of "r1" and "r2".)

Problem: Currently, I am trying to optimize "my_function" using the "ga" function in R:

library(GA)
GA <- ga(type = "real-valued", 
         fitness = function(x)  my_function(x[1], x[2]),
         lower = c(c("a", "b", "c", "d"), 1), upper = c(c("a", "b", "c", "d"), 100), 
         popSize = 50, maxiter = 1000, run = 100)

But I am not sure how to set this up correctly. I am not sure how to correctly define "my_function", and I am not sure how to correctly define "GA".

Can someone please show me how to do this?

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.