Writing SQL Codes in R Studio

Hello,

I am fairly new in R and trying to code the way using SQL. I tried simple select SQL statements and it worked fine but some changes are needed. I am wondering what are the limitations of using SQL statements in R and syntax changes required when writing select statements in R Studio.

Can anyone please help in answering this questions. I am performing some searches but not able to get hold of this detail.

Thank you

Can you please be more specific? RStudio is only an IDE, what SQL syntax or "flavor" to use depends on what specific RDBMS you are connecting to. In terms of syntax there are no special considerations for writing on the RStudio IDE.

If you are sending SQL commands to the RDBMS from R code using a specific package then we would need to know what your specific coding problem is in order to help you.

You might be referring to the select function in dplyr, which has many similarities with the SQL SELECT function. For more on that, you could look at the built-in help by running ?dplyr::select or taking a look at the dplyr web site or this helpful book (free online) introducing dplyr and related packages: https://r4ds.had.co.nz/

If you want to use SQL syntax within R, you might look at the sqldf package or the options in R Markdown to write code chunks in SQL.

Hi, appreciate your response. I don't have any specific problem yet as I am just starting writing SQL codes in RStudio. Here is the basic SQL code I copied from TOAD, runs against Oracle, that's working -

dbGetQuery(conn, "select count(*) from tableX where rownum < 10).

As I am preparing to write more robust code, I am looking to understand the limitation on what I can write on RStudio.

Thanks again

As I said RStudio is just an IDE, for illustration purposes, think of it as a glorified text editor, the SQL code doesn't get executed on RStudio, the sql command is sent to the server, executed there and data retrieved into R, so there are no limitations imposed by the use of RStudio beyond rare driver incompatibility issues.

Since you are sending SQL commands from R code, the only syntax concern would be scaping quotes when a quoted string is needed in your sql code.

thanks for the reply. I am exploring the links you sent. Appreciate it!!

Got it. Thank you for the reply.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.