XDG_CONFIG_HOME not working

I'm having the exact same problem as in this previous post:

except I am running RStudio in an Ubuntu Docker container. And I'm sure the XDG_CONFIG_HOME env var is being set before RStudio starts (it is available inside RStudio after it starts, e.g. it shows up in the terminal and Sys.getenv() returns it).

It partially works (RStudio creates an ‘rstudio’ directory in the location that XDG_CONFIG_HOME points to and there is a sub-directory inside that called ‘dictionaries’); however, rstudio-prefs.json (which is where preferences are actually stored) is not written there, but is instead kept/updated/managed in its default location (~/.config/rstudio/rstudio-prefs.json). FYI my RStudio version is "RStudio Server version 1.3.1093". Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help you can provide.

That's a very old/unsupported version and we've fixed a bunch of issues around XDG paths since then! I'd suggest upgrading before attempting other troubleshooting.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.