Which tools do you use for analytics projects? [Thread]

Maybe I'm using apm wrong, but I recently found that I had piles of old versions of plugins stored doing nothing in ~/.atom. Deleting them didn't change performance, but did save some space.

...but then I see Hydrogen more or less turn Atom into Light Table and it makes me slightly willing to put up with the madness

1 Like

Ooh I hadn't seen either of those. Played a little with Sublime this morning, but, really, I'm an RStudio girl :wink: ! I've been loving some of the other utils people have shared here, too! I don't know how I was living without a clipboard mgmt extension for so long :scream:

2 Likes

OS

• Windows 10

Text editor/IDE

• First and most importantly: RStudio
  • Notepad++ (Don't hate it loads fast and works well)
  • VS Code for non-R things

Terminal

• Git Bash

Version Control

• Git Bash to GitHub and GitLab

Messaging

• I live life on twitter.com
  • Slack
  • FB Messenger
  • Hangouts

Analysis notes

• Rmd files
  • Legal Pads (yellow only get the white ones away from me)

OS

• Windows 8.1 on a self-assembled desktop PC at home, Windows 10 on a dated rental at work

Editor

• RStudio for R
  • For Python: PyCharm at home, Visual Studio at work
  • Notepad++ for anything else

Command line

• Git Bash

Version control

• Git (mostly command line, but the GUI that comes with Git is pretty nice)

Messaging

• Skype at work, I'm solo at home

Analysis

• R, since I've never done much with machine learning. If I don't expect another program to source the code, I'll try to make it an Rmd. If I ever feel the urge to add non-programming comments to the code, I will force it to be an Rmd.
  • Python as a calculator since Idle loads faster than RStudio (and R's basic command line is dreadful)

A post was split to a new topic: Advice on a machine for scientific computing?