Your Ideas for Birds of a Feather Sessions?

Just a clarification, is the idea to continually go back to 1 BoF topic for each breakfast/lunch in the conference? On one hand, I'm immediately drawn to the Finance BoF session, and could see the value in attending that session each time we have a meal to continually work on a mini-project with people. On the other hand, the Software and Package Development session that has been suggested would also be interesting, and I might want to bounce between it and Finance.

Just wanted to understand more about how RStudio sees these sessions playing out.

1 Like

Maybe something about best practices for maintaining R versions/packages at institutional levels? How many versions of R do you keep? How do you manage packages (bioconductor, CRAN, github, local) - balancing the need for reproducibility (paper came back from reviewers but R/packages have changed) with consistency across projects/space (+ some packages are hard to install). Or best practices for shiny apps/R Connect. How long do you guarantee they will be there/work without updating?

2 Likes

Could the above topic be bundled with 'challenges in reproducible workflows' --- maybe a snazzier title would be "Good Enough Practices for Reproducibility?" (an homage to the nice, recent paper by Wilson, Bryan et al in PLOS: Computational Biology.

2 Likes

"Good Enough Practices for Reproducibility” works for me!

3 Likes

The Birds of a Feather meetup will be every day of the conference, from Wednesday the 31st through Saturday the 3rd.

Another idea: "Aspiring Analyst Admins" ?

I would bet that there are a lot of R users who are trying to grow adoption at their workplaces and the project of building systems for collaborative data analysis means not just spreading the R gospel, but also adoption of data and version control systems that facilitate collaboration.

I am also in government, so the reproducible workflow discussion speaks to me, but I feel like the fully open-source workflow is better documented than the challenges of building good R systems that work with internal data.

6 Likes

I admire the artistic application of alliteration to your advised area of activity.

Also, I agree this would be of interest.

3 Likes

A session for R in environmental research (geophysical, DEM, hydrological, biological, etc.) could be useful for learning of existing tools and packages and their strengths and limitations.

Based on all the input we received we’ve gone with 6 BoF groups.

I’ve announced these with their leaders on a separate thread here:
(Announcing Birds of a Feather groups)

1 Like