Bookdown html preview not working

Hi R community

I am trying to preview a large Bookdown book on rstudio.cloud, I can create/update and serve it on https://jura.tepedu.dk/ using

rmarkdown::render_site(output_format = 'bookdown::gitbook', encoding = 'UTF-8')

However when I knit the full file approximately 24000 lines I do not get a preview in window
If I split the file in 2 Rmd's I can preview these.
If I try to build it I get:

output file: _main.knit.md

/usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/pandoc/pandoc +RTS -K512m -RTS _main.utf8.md --to html4 --from markdown+autolink_bare_uris+ascii_identifiers+tex_math_single_backslash+smart --output _main.html --email-obfuscation none --wrap preserve --standalone --section-divs --table-of-contents --toc-depth 3 --template /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.6/bookdown/templates/gitbook.html --highlight-style pygments --number-sections --css style.css --include-in-header /tmp/Rtmp0qpi6w/rmarkdown-str1ebb65331b57.html --mathjax --filter /usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/pandoc/pandoc-citeproc

Exited with status 9.

My questions are:

What does status 9 mean?
Is there an upper limit for file sizes?
Can I split into multiple Rmd files and build for preview, and get consecutive chapter numbering?
Can anyone possibly suggest another way to preview, this is a project where nontecnical users have to preview their changes before the changes are pushed to github :O)

Thanks for any help :O)

9 is a signal.
The most likely explanation is that pandoc exceeded the 1 GB limit on memory in rstudio.cloud.
That would be why splitting into multiple Rmd files works.

1 Like

Thanks Josh for your quick reply, I read there are plans for a 3-6 GB limit, do you know when this will be :O)

I know folks are eager, but I'm not prepared to share a timeline just now.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.