Bypass RStudio server login

Hello,

In my RStudio (open source) installation, for some arcane reasons which are not under my control, I cannot use RStudio authentication.
I need to install an authentication proxy in front of it which will handle authentication and let authenticated requests pass through to RStudio Server.
The thing is, how can I disable RStudio authentication and let it handle all requests with a default user?
Or, still better if at all possible, how to pass RStudio some token telling it what user is authenticated or which working directory to use?

Thank you very much,

Juan

The thing is, how can I disable RStudio authentication and let it handle all requests with a default user?

The Docker image rocker/rstudio does something like this, c.f. https://github.com/rocker-org/rocker-versioned/blob/master/rstudio/devel/userconf.sh#L18-L22. This makes sense when running RStudio server locally via a Docker image, but when installed on a server, this would be turned into a single-user machine, since there can be only one session per user in the open-source version of RStudio server.

Or, still better if at all possible, how to pass RStudio some token telling it what user is authenticated or which working directory to use?

That is called proxied authentication and is a feature of RStudio Server Pro.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your quick and precise response.

Juan

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.