Calculate Cutoff value

I have a set of 18 observations. Three of the observations have a score of over 97 and are associated with a positive response, to which I assign the value of 1.

The remaining 15 observations have scores that are less than 96 and are associated with a negative response, to which I assign the value of 0.

I would like to have R calculate a statistically significant cutoff value associated with a “p value”.

My questions:

What type of data structure do I place my data into?

How do I instruct R to calculate the cutoff value?

What “library” or “package” does R use to calculate the cutoff value?

Do I choose a “p value” or does R calculate it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

Hello,

I think what you're after is foremost z scores and then looking at drawing inference. I suggest having a look here: https://www.statology.org/z-score-r/ (for basic z scores) and then a bit more involved article here on that with significant testing here: https://replicationindex.com/2019/03/31/one-tail-or-two-tails-that-is-the-question/

Thanks for your help. But, what I need is a pass/fail value (cutoff value, yes/no value) for my observations. Thanks, Jim

Welcome to the forum.

Your question is a bit unclear. Could you try to explain what you mean by:

?

1 Like

I have a set of 18 observations. Three of the observations have a score of over 97 and are associated with a positive response, to which I assign the value of 1.

The remaining 15 observations have scores that are less than 96 and are associated with a negative response, to which I assign the value of 0.

I would like to have R calculate a statistically significant cutoff value associated with a “p value”.

My questions:

What type of data structure do I place my data into?

How do I instruct R to calculate the cutoff value?

What “library” or “package” does R use to calculate the cutoff value?

Do I choose a “p value” or does R calculate it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

You repeated what you had above. We need some clarification. Try re-phrasing your question. At the moment, it's hard to understand. I'm not sure you understand what a p-value is for. In hypothesis testing, you set up a hypothesis and do a test. A p-value then indicates the likelihood your data would be observed given the null hypothesis is true. It's not generally used as a cutoff.

4 Likes

Except if it's below 0.05 :upside_down_face:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.