Cannot install packages with tempfile error

I originally had the error:

Error in tempfile(pattern = ".rstudio-", tmpdir = lib) : 
  unable to translate 'C:/Users/levih/OneDrive/<U+6587><U+4EF6>/R/win-library/4.1' to native encoding
In addition: Warning message:
In base::list.dirs(.libPaths(), full.names = FALSE, recursive = FALSE) :
  unable to translate 'C:/Users/levih/OneDrive/<U+6587><U+4EF6>/R/win-library/4.1' to native encoding
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In list.files(.rs.uniqueLibraryPaths(), full.names = TRUE) :
2: In list.files(.libPaths()) :
3: In list.files(.libPaths()) :

but after I changed something:

R_LIBS_SITE="C:\\Program Files\\R\\R-4.1.0\\library"

the error becomes:

How can I solve the problem?

By the way I referenced to Andres' Blog (rbind.io)

This is due to the known issues of R with synced folders and non-ASCII characters in the library path, the solution would be to set your package in a different location as apparently you are trying to do but it seems to me you haven't changed your package library successfully, what is the output of running .libPaths() on the R console?

The output is like:

> .libPaths()
[1] "C:/Users/levih/OneDrive/文件/R/win-library/4.1"
[2] "C:/Program Files/R/R-4.1.0/library"

I have looked for some posts but it seems that there's no the same problem,
and I don't know what this means:

What's tempfile?
I searched tempfile(pattern = ".rstudio-", tmpdir = lib) on Goolge and no similar results came out.

I deleted my "R" file in the recycle bin on OneDrive but the output is still the same.

Hey guys, I have solved the problem.
Here is the video:
How do I change the default library path for R packages [Set R environment at start up permanently] - YouTube
After you finish it, open as administrator and you can install.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.