Cannot install Rattle on iOSBig Sur

Hello,

I am trying to load Rattle on my R that's installed on iOS Big Sur. I searched on several websites for the GTK+ package, as R tried to extract the package from AT&T. I found another source for this package, however, that link advised that this package "is not available for this version of R".
First, I type the code:

install.packages('rattle')

Response:

trying URL 'https :confused: /cran. rstudio. com/bin /macosx /contrib/4.0/rattle_5.4.0. tgz' Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 5476592 bytes (5.2 MB) ================================================== downloaded 5.2 MB The downloaded binary packages are in /var/folders/pt/83w4mbc949d87d7478d2b1kc0000gn/T//RtmpW24nYo/downloaded_packages

My code:

library('rattle')

Response:

Loading required package: tibble Loading required package: bitops Rattle: A free graphical interface for data science with R. Version 5.4.0 Copyright (c) 2006-2020 Togaware Pty Ltd. Type 'rattle()' to shake, rattle, and roll your data.

Code:

Rattle()

Response:

Loading required package: RGtk2 Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) : unable to load shared object '/Library/Frameworks/R. framework/Versions/4.0/Resources /library/ RGtk2/libs/ RGtk2. so': dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/RGtk2/libs/RGtk2.so, 6): Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libXinerama.1.dylib Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/GTK+.framework/Versions/2.24.X11/Resources/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.0.dylib Reason: image not found Need GTK+ ? (Restart R after installing)

1: Install GTK+

2: Do not install GTK+

Code:

Response:

trying URL 'http :confused: /r.research. att. co m/libs/GTK_2.24.17-X11. p kg' Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘RGtk2’: .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'RGtk2', details: call: download.file(dep_url, path, mode = "wb") error: cannot open URL 'http :confused: /r. research. att.c om/libs/GTK_2.24.17-X11. pkg' Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) : unable to load shared object '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/RGtk2/libs/RGtk2.so': dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/RGtk2/libs/RGtk2.so, 6): Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libXinerama.1.dylib Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/GTK+.framework/Versions/2.24.X11/Resources/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.0.dylib Reason: image not found In addition: Warning messages: 1: Failed to load RGtk2 dynamic library, attempting to install it. 2: In doTryCatch(return(expr), name, parentenv, handler) : unable to load shared object '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/modules//R_X11.so': dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/modules//R_X11.so, 6): Library not loaded: /opt/X11/lib/libSM.6.dylib Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/modules/R_X11.so Reason: image not found 3: In download.file(dep_url, path, mode = "wb") : cannot open URL 'htt p:/ /r.research.att .c om/libs/GTK_2.24.17-X11.
pkg': HTTP status was '404 Not Found' Need GTK+ ? (Restart R after installing)

1: Install GTK+

2: Do not install GTK+

Code:

Response:

trying URL 'http: //r. research.at t. co m/libs/GTK_2.24.17-X11.pkg' Error: .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'RGtk2', details: call: download.file(dep_url, path, mode = "wb") error: cannot open URL 'http://r. res earch.att. com/libs/GTK_2.24.17-X11 . pkg' In addition: Warning messages: 1: Failed to load RGtk2 dynamic library, attempting to install it. 2: In download.file(dep_url, path, mode = "wb") : cannot open URL 'htt p: //r.research. att. co m/libs/GTK_2.24.17-X11.pkg': HTTP status was '404 Not Found'

I have tried other websites in search of GTK+ with no luck. Can anyone assist me with this please?

Thank you in advance!

The immediate problem is that the link is rotted. The ultimate problem is macOS and its idiosyncratic toolchain. The best advice I can give you is to have a virtual Ubuntu instance running under macOS and do all your work there. Here's what my install of rattle on Ubuntu looks like

> install.packages('rattle')
Installing package into ‘/home/roc/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/4.0’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/src/contrib/rattle_5.4.0.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 3396975 bytes (3.2 MB)
==================================================
downloaded 3.2 MB

* installing *source* package ‘rattle’ ...
** package ‘rattle’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
** R
** data
*** moving datasets to lazyload DB
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** installing vignettes
** testing if installed package can be loaded from temporary location
** testing if installed package can be loaded from final location
** testing if installed package keeps a record of temporary installation path
* DONE (rattle)

The downloaded source packages are in
	‘/tmp/RtmpbQ7VH1/downloaded_packages’

This contrast is what drove me to get a dedicated Linux machine.

I haven't tried this. It may or may not work, and it's only one of an indefinite number of searches and trials that might be necessary for any like future issue.

I'm not dissing the macOS experience. I loved it. I really did. When I started spending most of my time in R work, it took some effort to replicate my nifty apps, but I'm now happy. Now, I use my macOS machine mainly for media stuff.

Thank you so much, Technocrat!
Would you be able to provide me with suggestions where I can purchase a device to run Linux on? And where is the Linux OS sold?

Linux is open source, and it's available for download from many sources. There are many flavors. Ubuntu is popular, very well supported, and I've never had any problems in using it with R. Installation is as simple as downloading an iso file to a thumb drive and booting from that.

Unless the anticipated work will be with large data sets requiring more memory or very computationally intensive requiring more cores/faster processors, Ubuntu will run on almost any laptop or desktop with at least 4GB made in the last 20 years.GB

It is also possible to boot your Mac from a thumb drive on which Ubuntu is installed, and R and packages can be installed on it, as well as data. In the US a 128GB thumb drive is under $25US and would be more than adequate.

Another option is using a virtual machine software program for macOS to boot to Ubuntu, although that is more complicated. Some may also allow running Ubuntu as an app under macOS, which would be very convenient.

Also, you can even create a "virtual" Ubuntu machine in the cloud with services such as Amazon's AWC EC2 service. These come in various memory sizes, from modest up to vast and bandwidth from ordinary to torrential.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.