Cannot successfully install RMarkdown package

Hi folks,

I have spent a bit of time researching this issue but after applying all the workarounds suggested I am still back to square one.
I am running RStudio on a Macbook (Mac Os Sierra Version 10.12.6). R version is 4.0.2. Every time I try to create an R Markdown file I am told by RStudio that I must update a version of the rmarkdown package and I am asked if I want to install the package. When I do I get the following. To the best of my knowledge all dependencies are up to date. Thanks in advance.

Installing 'rmarkdown' for R Markdown...
There is a binary version available but the source version is later:
      binary source needs_compilation
rmarkdown    2.3    2.4             FALSE
installing the source package ‘rmarkdown’

trying URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/src/contrib/rmarkdown_2.4.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 3202546 bytes (3.1 MB)
==================================================
downloaded 3.1 MB

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _utimensat
Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/lib/libR.dylib 
(which was built for Mac OS X 10.13)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: _utimensat
Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/lib/libR.dylib 
(which was built for Mac OS X 10.13)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/INSTALL: line 34:  4963 Done                    
echo 'tools:::.install_packages()'
  4964 Abort trap: 6           | R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES= LC_COLLATE=C "${R_HOME}/bin/R" $myArgs 
--no-echo --args ${args}

The downloaded source packages are in
‘/private/var/folders/mw/51zby12s5rq02g0jf5nxc4c40000gn/T/Rtmp4txQwB/downloaded_packages’

Package 'rmarkdown' successfully installed.
Warning message:
In utils::install.packages("rmarkdown", repos = "https://cran.rstudio.com/") :
installation of package rmarkdown had non-zero exit status

Avoid installing from source on macOS

Legend, worked like a charm!! Thanks!!

1 Like

If your question's been answered (even by you!), would you mind choosing a solution? It helps other people see which questions still need help, or find solutions if they have similar problems. Here’s how to do it:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.