can't play audio (from sonify package) in rstudio.cloud ? Trying to help blind student

I have a blind student, and I am trying to find technology that will help him with graphs of functions, scatterplots, etc. I found the package "sonify", which apparently uses the "tuneR" package to play the sound files it makes. It works fine on my desktop version of Rstudio, but doesn't seem to work in Rstudio.cloud -- it fails with this message:
sh: 1: mplayer: not found
sh: 1: /tmp/RtmphpuN6z/tuneRtemp.wav: Permission denied

Rstudio Server has better screen-reader or other accessibility features than the desktop version, according to this article: RStudio 1.3 Preview: Accessibility - Posit
While my student is fairly tech-savvy (he's a CompSci major/Math minor), it would be easier for him to use Rstudio Server via Rstudio.cloud vs. setting up his own Rstudio Server, I think.

Here's a project in Rstudio.cloud where I was trying it out:

A possible workaround would be to have sonify or tuneR generate a file that I (or my student) then downloads and plays on his local device. I tried using the Rstudio.cloud console to see if the file it mentions in the error message, /tmp/RtmphpuN6z/tuneRtemp.wav , could be downloaded, but I don't even see a .wav file in that directory.
I (and my student) would appreciate any help. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.