Cluster analysis of spectra in R

I have measured the spectral reflectance of a number of items. I wish to determine whether it is possible to identify these items by their reflectance alone. For example, by analysing spectra alone can I differentiate between a lemon and orange fruit?

To answer this question, I wish to conduct hierarchical clustering in R on my samples of spectra (to see if spectral measurements cluster by types of fruit, e.g,, an orange cluster, a lemon cluster, a banana cluster).

I have measured the spectral reflectance of a number of items. I wish to determine whether it is possible to identify these items by their reflectance alone. For example, by analysing spectra alone can I differentiate between a lemon and orange fruit?

To answer this question, I wish to conduct hierarchical clustering in R on my samples of spectra (to see if spectral measurements cluster by types of fruit, e.g, an orange cluster, a lemon cluster, a banana cluster).

How can I do this in R?

Note: please provide Tidyverse friendly suggestions as this is how I'm learning R and it would help me greatly.

Dataset

For each object, I have conducted several sample measurements using hand spectroradiometer. Here's an example DF with mock values. I want to see if the spectra for each object are different enough to identify the object.

Note: the real-life application would be to determine whether it's possible to determine these different fruit crops from satellite imagery using their spectral reflectance.

+------------+----------------+----------------+----------------+---------------+---------------+----------------+
| Wavelength | Orange_sample1 | Orange_sample2 | Orange_sample3 | Lemon_sample1 | Lemon_sample2 | Banana_sample1 |
+------------+----------------+----------------+----------------+---------------+---------------+----------------+
|        400 | 0.1            | 0.7            | 1.3            | 1.9           | 2.5           | 3.1            |
|        450 | 0.3            | 0.5            | 0.7            | 0.9           | 1.1           | 1.3            |
|        500 | 0.5            | 0.9            | 1.3            | 1.7           | 2.1           | 2.5            |
|        550 | 0.7            | 0.9            | 1.1            | 1.3           | 1.5           | 1.7            |

How can I do this in R (preferably with a Tidyverse workflow)?

Dataset

For each object, I have conducted several sample measurements using hand spectroradiometer. Here's an example DF with mock values. I want to see if the spectra for each object are different enough to identify the object.

Note: the real-life application would be to determine whether it's possible to determine these different fruit crops from satellite imagery using their spectral reflectance.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.