Controlling Graphs with Text Boxes

Using the plotly library, I made the following plot in R:

library(dplyr)
library(ggplot2)
library(plotly)

set.seed(123)
df <- data.frame(var1 = rnorm(1000,10,10),
                   var2 = rnorm(1000,5,5))

df <- df %>% mutate(var3 = ifelse(var1 <= 5 & var2 <= 5, "a", ifelse(var1 <= 10 & var2 <= 10, "b", "c"))) 

plot = df %>%
  ggplot() + geom_point(aes(x=var1, y= var2, color= var3))

ggplotly(plot)

Using the plotly library, I made the following plot in R:

library(dplyr)
library(ggplot2)
library(plotly)

set.seed(123)
df <- data.frame(var1 = rnorm(1000,10,10),
                   var2 = rnorm(1000,5,5))

df <- df %>% mutate(var3 = ifelse(var1 <= 5 & var2 <= 5, "a", ifelse(var1 <= 10 & var2 <= 10, "b", "c"))) 

plot = df %>%
  ggplot() + geom_point(aes(x=var1, y= var2, color= var3))

ggplotly(plot)

enter image description here

This is a simple scatter plot - two random variables are generated, and then the colors of the points are decided by some criteria (e.g. if var1 and var2 are between certain ranges).

From here, I could also summary statistics:

df$var3 = as.factor(df$var3)
summary = df %>%
    group_by(var3) %>%
    summarize(Mean_var1 = mean(var1), Mean_var2 = mean(var2), count=n())

# A tibble: 3 x 4
  var3  Mean_var1 Mean_var2 count
* <fct>     <dbl>     <dbl> <int>
1 a         -1.70     0.946   158
2 b          4.68     4.94    260
3 c         15.8      6.49    582

My question: is it possible to add some buttons to this plot which would allow the user to color the points based on custom choices? E.g. something like this :

Now, the user can type in any range they want - and the color of the points change, and the some summary statistics are generated.

Can someone please show me how to do this in R?

I had this idea - first I would create this massive table that would create all possible range combinations of "var1" and "var2":

vec1 <- c(-20:40,1)
vec2 <-  c(-20:40,1)

a <- expand.grid(vec1, vec2)

for (i in seq_along(vec1)) { 
    for (j in seq_along(vec2)) {

df <- df %>% mutate(var3 = ifelse(var1 <= i & var2 <= i, "a", ifelse(var1 <= j & j <= 10, "b", "c"))) 

}

}

Then, depending on which ranges the user wants - an SQL style statement isolate the rows from this massive table corresponding to those ranges :

custom_df = df[df$var1 > -20 & df$var1 <10 & df$var1 > -20 & df$var2 <10 , ]    

Then, an individual grap would be made for "custom_df" and summary statistics would also be recorded for "custom_df":

summary = custom_df %>%
    group_by(var3) %>%
    summarize(Mean_var1 = mean(var1), Mean_var2 = mean(var2), count=n())

But I am not sure how to neatly and efficiently do this in R.

Can someone please show me how to do this? Does this require shiny?

Thanks

I think you would need to learn shiny, which has numericInput that you can use

thank you for your reply! I am in the process of learning shiny ... I am trying to take online examples from tutorials and adapt them to fit my problem

This topic was automatically closed 54 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.