deciphering error around "icon" package

Context/ Problem: Trying to decipher the issue below and fix it. I think I may need to install another version of R or the package "icon" but not sure!

# install.packages("devtools")
devtools::install_github("nstrayer/datadrivencv")
Downloading GitHub repo nstrayer/datadrivencv@HEAD
Skipping 1 packages not available: icon
Installing 2 packages: icon, pagedown
Installing packages into �C:/Users/naomi/Documents/R/win-library/4.1�
(as �lib� is unspecified)
package �icon� is not available for this version of R

A version of this package for your version of R might be available elsewhere,
see the ideas at
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-patched/R-admin.html#Installing-packagestrying URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/4.1/pagedown_0.17.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 306382 bytes (299 KB)
downloaded 299 KB

package ‘pagedown’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded binary packages are in
	C:\Users\naomi\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp48Z7fE\downloaded_packages
√  checking for file 'C:\Users\naomi\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp48Z7fE\remotes2d046e244e19\nstrayer-datadrivencv-0b59804/DESCRIPTION'
-  preparing 'datadrivencv': (603ms)
√  checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ...
-  checking for LF line-endings in source and make files and shell scripts
-  checking for empty or unneeded directories
   Omitted 'LazyData' from DESCRIPTION
-  building 'datadrivencv_0.1.0.tar.gz'

Installing package into �C:/Users/naomi/Documents/R/win-library/4.1�
(as �lib� is unspecified)
ERROR: dependency 'icon' is not available for package 'datadrivencv'
* removing 'C:/Users/naomi/Documents/R/win-library/4.1/datadrivencv'
installation of package �C:/Users/naomi/AppData/Local/Temp/Rtmp48Z7fE/file2d0459c53f15/datadrivencv_0.1.0.tar.gz� had non-zero exit status

You'll need to ask the author of GitHub - nstrayer/datadrivencv: R package for building customizable CVs from spreadsheets where to get the icon package.

1 Like

the icon package this package relies on is no more, I believe it has a substitute though.
as Gabor wrote, the package author, or someone else that can fork and adapt the package should ideally rework it to be compatible with the available icons package, in lieu of this you have the following work around:
'icon' package not available · Issue #81 · nstrayer/datadrivencv (github.com)

1 Like

The description file specifies

Remotes: 
    ropenscilabs/icon

So you have to install it from Github

devtools::install_github("ropenscilabs/icon")
1 Like

Thank you! I think there is a new version soon to be released, but this workaround was very helpful. This ended up working with no errors:

# remotes:: install_local("datadrivencv-master.zip") # install modified `icon` package from laptop; removed "icon (>= 0.1.0) from "DESCRIPTION"
# devtools::install_github("ropenscilabs/icon") # install `icon` package separately
#   
# install.packages("devtools")
# devtools::install_github("nstrayer/datadrivencv")
library(datadrivencv)

Thank you for pointing out the description file--I had not known to read the information about the package (had jumped to using it), so this was helpful. I also ended up using

devtools::install_github("ropenscilabs/icon")

versus

remotes::install_github('mitchelloharawild/icons@v0.1.0')

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.