Dev tool install issue.

To begin with, I don't know if this is the correct place to post this question, if it's not my apologises and suggestions of other places would be appreciated!

I'm running R-Studio on Windows 10 home. I recently had (for the first time) install a package using devtools, and started to hit this error. I played around with a couple of other packages and it seems to be occurring for all of them.

> devtools::install_github("tidyverse/hms")
Downloading GitHub repo tidyverse/hms@master
WARNING: Rtools is required to build R packages, but is not currently installed.

Please download and install Rtools 3.5 from http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/.
√  checking for file 'C:\Users\Fionn Delahunty\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpSOBTbQ\remotes7c307deb5aed\tidyverse-hms-063a1a6/DESCRIPTION' ...
-  preparing 'hms':
√  checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... 
-  installing the package to process help pages
         -----------------------------------
-  installing *source* package 'hms' ...
   ** using staged installation
   ** R
   ** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
   Fatal error: cannot open file 'C:\Users\Fionn': No such file or directory

ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'hms'
-  removing 'C:/Users/Fionn Delahunty/AppData/Local/Temp/RtmpecT9Bw/Rinst5abc694a19cc/hms'
         -----------------------------------
   ERROR: package installation failed
Error: Failed to install 'hms' from GitHub:
  System command error, exit status: 1, stderr empty

As you can see in the error, my dic has a space between my first and surname, it would appear that devtools isn't catching the surname and thus not finding the right dic. Might anyone have seen this issue before and have a solution?

Yes, this kind of issues with empty spaces and non ASCII characters in windows user names are very frequent, the common solution is to change your username to something safer.

Mhh I was afraid of that issue alright..

Thanks for confirming!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.